+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Bristol

I'm Steve.

Default Hello from Bristol

My name is Steve.
    I am a Design Engineer with Rolls-Royce.
    I am very much into most types of music.
    I own an all valve hi-fi system which is fronted by a Michell Gyrodec (Export model) which I havce owned from new since 1989.
    The majority of my music is on vinyl, however, I also have a reasonable size CD collection.
    Other interests include motorcycles, woodworking, DIY, football, and science fiction films.
    I also spend quite a lot of time at Record Fairs and second hand record shops. Bristol is particularly well stocked with second hand vinyl shops.
    I never sell or swap anything vinyl.

I'm Justin.

Was the export the black and gold version?

I have had my Gyro since maybe the same year. Have also worked for Rolls Royce in Brizzle and Derby.

Lived in Bristol for 20 years.

Are you a Plastic Wax regular?

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Steve. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here.

Feel free to join in the chat, it's a friendly place.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm peter.

welcome to aos plenty of help and information on here
    enjoy the forum
    pete

I'm Steve.

Hi Justin,
    Yes, it is the black and gold version, I thought it looked superb then, and I still think the same now.
    Absolutely no intentions of parting with it, as it still holds its own against the competition.

Been at R-R 'Brizzle' (Defence) for 45 years, looking at potential retirement this year.

Many years ago, I used to visit Plastic Wax a lot (when it was located in the middle of Glos Rd), however, when they relocated to the 'arches' at Zetland Rd I progressively stopped visiting, primarily because the shop is the wrong side of town for me, and parking the car is a nightmare.
    Nowadays, I often frequent Wanted Records in St Nicholas market, there are 4 second hand record shops within 30 feet of each other, and they stock some good stuff.
    Then of course there is the Colston Hall Record Fair, which I almost always visit.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Allen View Post
    I own an all valve hi-fi system which is fronted by a Michell Gyrodec (Export model) which I havce owned from new since 1989.
    The majority of my music is on vinyl, however, I also have a reasonable size CD collection.
    Hi Steve, welcome to A0S, like you I own a Gyrodec you may be interested in this thread Cheap-upgrade-for-michell-gyro. I have done most of the upgrades to mine, the first being the pylon suspension upgrade and as you can see form my posts this is a significant improvement to the overall quality for soundstage, clarity and definition. It is a bit of a long read but worth it.

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Hi Adrian,
    Thank you for the welcome.
    Regarding the thread you sent me, I must be honest and mention, I had been following the thread for some time, and was the reason I decided to join AOS.
    Only problem I have at the moment is how to respond to Peter's PM that he sent me, I can't see it, and I don't know where to look for it.
    I have asked the Administrator for some help, maybe I'm not fully set up with all access permissions.

I'm Justin.

Hi Justin,
    Yes, it is the black and gold version, I thought it looked superb then, and I still think the same now.
    Absolutely no intentions of parting with it, as it still holds its own against the competition.

Been at R-R 'Brizzle' (Defence) for 45 years, looking at potential retirement this year.

Many years ago, I used to visit Plastic Wax a lot (when it was located in the middle of Glos Rd), however, when they relocated to the 'arches' at Zetland Rd I progressively stopped visiting, primarily because the shop is the wrong side of town for me, and parking the car is a nightmare.
    Nowadays, I often frequent Wanted Records in St Nicholas market, there are 4 second hand record shops within 30 feet of each other, and they stock some good stuff.
    Then of course there is the Colston Hall Record Fair, which I almost always visit.
    Used to live pretty close to Plastic Wax (Redland) so use to use it a bit. Moved out to Portishead 12 years ago but I drove past Plastic Wax the other day and smiled cos its still there.

Yup mine is a black and gold export that I Orbified. It's in a cupboard unused at the moment. I won't sell it, though, and it will get used again. In all honesty they look better than the current crop I think.

Did 5 years at RR nearly all in Bristol but as a contractor a long time ago. I might do another stint someday who knows.

Enjoy AoS.

I'm Adrian.

Hi Adrian,
    Thank you for the welcome.
    Regarding the thread you sent me, I must be honest and mention, I had been following the thread for some time, and was the reason I decided to join AOS.
    Only problem I have at the moment is how to respond to Peter's PM that he sent me, I can't see it, and I don't know where to look for it.
    I have asked the Administrator for some help, maybe I'm not fully set up with all access permissions.
    In case you have not seen it yet. At the top just under Forum is a tab for Private Messages, if you click on this you should access your message box.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast