+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For Sale: Croft Charisma X Preamplifier

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Manny.

Default For Sale: Croft Charisma X Preamplifier

Croft Charisma X Preamplifier with external 1000vA power supply unit

Continuing with my decision to downsize (you'll see my Posselt speakers and Conrad Johnson power amp listed also), very rare and mine from new, used as line level as I no longer have a turntable (it doesn't require phono section tubes to be plugged in to operate). Smoke and pet free environment and includes high quality cotton dust covers.

Very high quality MM Phono stage
    Line stage and power supply regulator
    Seiden selector switch
    Eichmann RCA sockets on CD and Main out
    Incorporates custom made flat foil silver plated copper
    2 x Claritycap TC-4 200uf 600v caps
    SCR Obligato Teflon caps
    2mm aluminium Chassis for better heatsink of all the regulators (rather than the 1.5mm of basic versions)
    Khozmo Stereo series stepped Attenuator 48 step, (colour blue) 100K serial type with SMD resistors (not vishay)

Valve complement;
    All Octal 6SL7's, looking from the front (left to right);
    Phono stage left, Phono stage right, Phono output stage*, Line stage left, Line stage right
    (*middle tube can use the 6SN7 or 6SL7)

Power regulation - 2 x 85A2, 2 x ECC83 (currently genuine pair of new in box NOS Mullard M8137's, approx 50 hours useage)
    Current 6SL7's are genuine new in box NOS pair Tung-Sol 6188/6SU7WGT (approx 2 hours useage)

External 1000vA power supply unit (two 500vA transformers - one for each channel so dual mono chassis and built in DC filter)

Will come with high quality cotton dust covers. I have the shipping boxes for each, but would strongly prefer collection.

Sell for £3250 (collected) - payment via bank transfer.

Last edited by vinyl; 08-03-2019 at 20:21.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Manny,

How's it going, mate? Hope you're well

It's a real shame you're letting this baby go, as it's about as good as valve preamps get! Someone's going to get a bargain, certainly in terms of how much it would cost to get this type of sonic performance/musical ability from a high-end commercial valve preamp. I reckon you'd be looking at £20K, minimum.

Folks, if you're after a *final* preamp, for a top-notch system, with an equally top-notch built-in MM phono stage, then this is IT

Anyway, good luck with the sale

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm tony.

fantastic pre....heaven only knows what you would have to pay to get near it commercially...GLWS

I'm Manny.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Manny,

How's it going, mate? Hope you're well

It's a real shame you're letting this baby go, as it's about as good as valve preamps get! Someone's going to get a bargain, certainly in terms of how much it would cost to get this type of sonic performance/musical ability from a high-end commercial valve preamp. I reckon you'd be looking at £20K, minimum.

Folks, if you're after a *final* preamp, for a top-notch system, with an equally top-notch built-in MM phono stage, then this is IT

Anyway, good luck with the sale

Marco.
    Hi Marco,

I'm all good mate thanks (long time no speak and I hope things are well with you). It is with a very heart I'm letting this go (I gave Glenn the heads up). It is indeed very special and time for someone else to enjoy it. If pushed to make any type of sonic comparison (you know I hate 'reviews') then I've heard high end preamps in the £15k region and more - that simply cannot compete - it's as simple as that.

And having known Glenn so long, well he's one of the nicest blokes I've ever met.

I'm going to keep this brief else I won't end up selling it!

Anyway, take care and speak soon

I'm Grant.

gorgeous kit..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

WOW! Very rare these come up.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Bigman80 Guest

After hearing you waxing lyrical about this preamp, I am stunned you are selling it.

Are you giving up on HiFi or have you found something that you enjoy as much?

I'm Manny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    After hearing you waxing lyrical about this preamp, I am stunned you are selling it.

Are you giving up on HiFi or have you found something that you enjoy as much?
    Hi Oliver,

It's all going, just downsizing mate, I rarely listen to my full system. So really simple and time to move it on, this stuff should be used not sitting about!

I'm Roger.

As a Croft aficionado, I can only drool - wish I had the £££! Good luck with the sale - I'm sure it won't hang around.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    Hi Oliver,

It's all going, just downsizing mate, I rarely listen to my full system. So really simple and time to move it on, this stuff should be used not sitting about!
    Wow. Fair play to ya. Shame I haven't got the money, I'd have loved to give that a run out.

GLWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast