+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R-Pi with Wi-Fi dongle

I'm Bill.

The Netgear N300 arrived last night and doesn't seem to do the job. Saying that, I'm not sure if is even working - how do I know whether the Netgear or the Pi is doing the WiFi?

I plugged it into the Pi and it continuously flashes blue, selected WiFi in volumio, selected my ssid, popped in the password and it works with lots of stuttering. This is what was happening with the Pi WiFi so I'm assuming that is what is being used

Any pointers what I might be doing wrong greatly appreciated.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    The Netgear N300 arrived last night and doesn't seem to do the job. Saying that, I'm not sure if is even working - how do I know whether the Netgear or the Pi is doing the WiFi?

I plugged it into the Pi and it continuously flashes blue, selected WiFi in volumio, selected my ssid, popped in the password and it works with lots of stuttering. This is what was happening with the Pi WiFi so I'm assuming that is what is being used

In MoOde the Pi3 internal wifi can be turned off. I don't know if this is possible with Volumio though.
    If you know how to ssh into your Pi3 it's possible to turn internal wifi off that way.

I'm Barry.

You need to turn the pi onboard wifi off, had the same problem on my setup. Don't know if Volumio has this setting, I use moode with gives you the option. If that don't solve your problem you might deed a wifi extender/booster.

I'm Neal.

Bill are you able to ssh into the RPi with a pc and Ethernet cable?

If so do this...

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Use the down arrow on the keyboard and at the end of the file add

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi

Use cntrl O to output the file (ie save it)
    Use cntrl X to exit

then...

sudo reboot now

That should disable the onboard WiFi
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    If you know how to ssh into your Pi3 it's possible to turn internal wifi off that way.
    Another way, which avoids ssh, is to remove the sd card from your Pi and open it in your computer. You will see a list of files. Open the one titled 'config.txt' and add the following below what you see written in there:
    dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
    Eject the card safely from your computer, return it to the Pi and boot up. Done!
    If you ever want the internal wifi back just repeat and delete the added line.

I'm Bill.

Thanks again for your assistance chaps, much appreciated!

Before I try this and disable the onboard wi-fi, can you just let me know how to set the dongle up once I've done that.

Cheers,

Bill.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm John.

Thanks again for your assistance chaps, much appreciated!

Before I try this and disable the onboard wi-fi, can you just let me know how to set the dongle up once I've done that.

Cheers,

Bill.
    Just have it plugged in to your Pi when you boot up. Should be as simple as that, (though I've never used that particular adapter).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12