+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R-Pi with Wi-Fi dongle

I'm Bill.

Default R-Pi with Wi-Fi dongle

I'm using a model 3 B+ and wonder if there is much to be gained Wi-Fi wise by using a dongle like the Edimax.

Is it 'plug and play' or do I need to do some code messing? If I do I won't bother with it
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    I'm using a model 3 B+ and wonder if there is much to be gained Wi-Fi wise by using a dongle like the Edimax.

Is it 'plug and play' or do I need to do some code messing? If I do I won't bother with it
    As opposed to the built in WiFi?

I'm Bill.

Yes, as I guess it is more reliable?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    Yes, as I guess it is more reliable?
    It used to be that you had to enable a WiFi dongle via ssh etc but I'm not sure about the newer Pi models.

I'm Grant.

Think you need a bit of code.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neal.

Most dongles are plug n play these days if you are running the latest distro, another option if you are struggling with connectivity issues is one of these, plug n play. https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi...w-5dbi-antenna
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Bill.

Thanks chaps!

I'm inactive.

I have a couple of Netgear N300 in use with my Pi set-ups (RPi 2 and RPi 3)

Reasonable price and ultra reliable ... unlike a few 'made-for-Pi' dongles I have tried in the past - and much better than the RPi 3 built in wifi IMV.

Easy to set up - just locate your router and enter the password.

Argos

(also available from Currys and Amazon for the same price)

I'm Paul.

I use a WiFi dongle with my Pi3/digione. I needed it because I am using the allo metal case that (I assume, I never tried it) would block wireless to the on-board wifi.

I'm using picoreplayer, and setup was easy thru it's Web interface (just disable internal WiFi and enable USB WiFi dongle), I think the initial setup was done over a temporary ethernet cable, but I think you can also do it by editing a config file on the micro sdhc card.

I think almost any wifi dongle will work with a current Linux kernel (I think all the music O/Ss for Pi use Linux), But if you are looking to buy one, it won't hurt to pick was that explicitly advertises Pi-compatibity
    khozmo passive pre/nytech ca252/cxa252 amps, arc 101 speakers
    vinyl: --- lp12/kore/lingo4/ekos2/dv 10x5/gs accession
    digital: --- caiman SEG/allo digione, synology nas, rotel 965 cd

I'm Bill.

Thanks again fellas. I'm also using the Allo aluminium case, tried the built in wi-fi and get drop outs, so currently on an ethernet cable.
    I'd like to lose the cable hence my original question.
    I ordered the Netgear dongle suggested from Amazon which is being delivered later today (amazing Amazon Prime service), so hopefully should be running soon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast