+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: SPOTFIRE speaker cable

I'm Steve.

No rush Oliver,In your own time mate, was just expressing how much im looking forward to getting them

Regards Steve...
    Technics SP10 tt. Cart: At33ptg
    Project 2xperience sb dc
    Nelson Pass DCB1 pre
    Audio Research 75hd
    Aragon 4004 dual mono
    Monarchy Audio SM70
    CD Player: Cyrus cd8se
    Spotfire Speaker Cable
    Rogers Ls3/5a 15ohm
    Tannoy Eaton

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm going to be visiting the Bigbottle Audio complex tomorrow for a demo of these. Despite my initial (enormous) scepticism at even trying them, the interconnects really do it for me in my system so I'm keen to see what these speaker cables have to offer.
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. The pair Oliver is making at the moment are mine. To say I'm excited is a massive understatement.
    Well Tempered Versalex, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Trilogy 906, MCRU LDA Linear PSU, Naim ND5 XS 2 , Exposure 3010S2D, Roksan TR-5 speakers, Spotfire Interconnects/Spotfire Reference speaker cable

I'm Martin.

I have heard them and they are good so I'm buying some.

I'm not sure I can go into the details of how they sound until I get them into my own system. Ollies system is pretty similar to mine except for the two main factors - speakers and room. But we tested against another cable which I brought with me and the differences, whilst by no means night and day, did seem enough to justify the expenditure. My overall perception was that they were just letting a bit more through right across the range, if that makes any sense.

And I spotted Ollie's crafty interconnect swap. Not only blind but I didn't even know I was being tested! Not as mutton as I thought I might be.
    Current Lash Up:

*Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

I'm Rob.

Thanks for your your feedback Martin. Parting with your cash is the biggest endorsement you can make.
    Well Tempered Versalex, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Trilogy 906, MCRU LDA Linear PSU, Naim ND5 XS 2 , Exposure 3010S2D, Roksan TR-5 speakers, Spotfire Interconnects/Spotfire Reference speaker cable

I'm Oliver.

I have heard them and they are good so I'm buying some.

I'm not sure I can go into the details of how they sound until I get them into my own system. Ollies system is pretty similar to mine except for the two main factors - speakers and room. But we tested against another cable which I brought with me and the differences, whilst by no means night and day, did seem enough to justify the expenditure. My overall perception was that they were just letting a bit more through right across the range, if that makes any sense.

And I spotted Ollie's crafty interconnect swap. Not only blind but I didn't even know I was being tested! Not as mutton as I thought I might be.
    The differences, I believe will become far more apparent once you get them in your system, Macca.

For me, the differences were a little more night and day but I understand that the unfamiliar (to a degree) speakers and room will have made it harder for anyone to easily discern the differences. However, I have had a lot of time being stuck in the house and heard it pretty much instantly.

There was a track we used which really showed the differences and that was:

"Peter Schneider - St James Infirmary"

This track is superbly recorded and was recorded live. With the SPOTFIRE reference cables, the soundstage was very developed. It's deep, wide and most importantly, gave the ambience of the venue. Applause was naturally presented with, "I was there" feel. The vocals are gravelly and there's a few sections where they are belted out. The vocals never pierced of gave any cause to wince. Guitar had great tone and sustain but overall it was just a very natural sound. Not forced or pressured, just natural.

When we put Macca's speaker cable in, that ambience disappeared and with it went the soundstage. The bass was overpowering too. The reason it lost it ambience is, to loosely quote Macca, "it's not letting all the sound through" and that was the rub, Macca's cables weren't transparent enough to allow the ambience and sounstage to be recreated.

Macca and I agreed on this assessment

Everything flattened out and sounded a bit 2D, Macca and I agreed on this too.

IMO it all got a little bit shouty. I also noted a harshness to the guitar which made me squint at one point.

Macca disagreed over this point and laid blame at the speakers for being "uncouth" and suggested he felt it was a bit shouty earlier on when listening to "Earth Wing & Fire - September" with the SPOTFIRE.

We played "E,W&F - September" via Macca's cables and my feelings were that it was tonally thin and lacking in energy. It was almost too smoothed over and the dynamics of the track were a bit....flat.

Macca and I kind of agreed but I think we were trying to say the same thing with different words.

Personally, I think the main issue was the track itself. Whilst the cables demonstrated a noticeable tonal difference and contrasting soundstaging ability, the track sounded lean to me with both cables. I have since listened to it on headphones and it has the same characteristics. Personally, I think it's a poorly mixed album and put that down to the version of the album I have.

We listened to Steely Dan, which, with the SPOTFIRE reference cables had a really joyful sound, full of bounce and vigour bit again when Macca's went in, it lost it and the bass seemed a little OTT again.

We listened to a lot of diverse music groups and for me the biggest endorsement of any piece of kit is when it goes in, and stays in. The SPOTFIRE reference speaker cables went back in, and stayed in.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & Firebottle LPSU with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass Derived DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Neurochrome Modulus 686 Amplifier
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

I'm Martin.

Yes pretty much agree with all that. But having had a couple of sessions now with your Pioneer speakers I'm sticking with 'uncouth'

Current Lash Up:

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

I'm Oliver.

Yes pretty much agree with all that. But having had a couple of sessions now with your Pioneer speakers I'm sticking with 'uncouth'

Lol, fair enough. I am sure that when some speakers of a specified quality arrive here, I will agree but until then.......
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & Firebottle LPSU with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass Derived DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Neurochrome Modulus 686 Amplifier

I'm Oliver.

Another set on the way out of the door for STD305M (Steve)

Still waiting for the materials to make the other orders. I'll be in touch!

I'm Martin.

But I want mine now!
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Mark.

What is the situation with the earth wire? Presumably this is attached to a chassis screw on the power amp?

100% Analogue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast