+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: SPOTFIRE speaker cable

I'm Oliver.

I've spent the last few days letting the shorter cables I built, burn in.

The first critical listen came last night. Not critical as in performance but to whether I could hear any difference between the old pair and the new pair as they both had different connectors.

My old pair originally had a couple of GP brass spades. I swapped them for GP copper zplugs at the request of the new owner. When I Re-auditioned them prior to posting, I noted a marked rise in micro detail. I was pleasantly surprised by this so ventured off to the Internet to seek top class bling for the terminations.

I settled on some very interesting bananas with a spring loaded arm which are reminiscent of Chords own plugs.

They are screw on connectors. Why screw on?! I hear you say.

I felt that due to the size of the cable if was the only method I was happy with. Simple.

Listening yesterday, I hoped that the new plugs would provide and improvement over the standard zplug. Well, I have to say honestly, I'm not sure if it does or whether it's the fact the brass connectors are still in my memory from before. These cables are now better for the change but I'm not sure if it's better than the zplugs now.

I prefer the connection but they cost a lot more to get that satisfaction.

That said, who doesn't like a bit of bling.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I've spent the last few days letting the shorter cables I built, burn in.

The first critical listen came last night. Not critical as in performance but to whether I could hear any difference between the old pair and the new pair as they both had different connectors.

My old pair originally had a couple of GP brass spades. I swapped them for GP copper zplugs at the request of the new owner. When I Re-auditioned them prior to posting, I noted a marked rise in micro detail. I was pleasantly surprised by this so ventured off to the Internet to seek top class bling for the terminations.

I settled on some very interesting bananas with a spring loaded arm which are reminiscent of Chords own plugs.

They are screw on connectors. Why screw on?! I hear you say.

I felt that due to the size of the cable if was the only method I was happy with. Simple.

Listening yesterday, I hoped that the new plugs would provide and improvement over the standard zplug. Well, I have to say honestly, I'm not sure if it does or whether it's the fact the brass connectors are still in my memory from before. These cables are now better for the change but I'm not sure if it's better than the zplugs now.

I prefer the connection but they cost a lot more to get that satisfaction.

That said, who doesn't like a bit of bling.

Thanks for reporting back. I’m relieved in a way as I’m totally skint!
    Well Tempered Versalex, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Trilogy 906, MCRU LDA Linear PSU, Naim ND5 XS 2 , Exposure 3010S2D, Roksan TR-5 speakers, Spotfire Interconnects/Spotfire Reference speaker cable

I'm Oliver.

No worries matey.

I'm Oliver.

Just to provide a little update on these,

I have been using the new Bananas for about three months, plugging and unplugging them twice a week in that time. I am pleased to see the Gold plating hasn't shown any sign of wear at all. The little spring arm that forces a tight fit Is also as good as when I fitted them.

All concerns have been tested for and from now on, they will be on every pair of Spotfire Speaker cables I make.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516