+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a Valab LCR Phono Stage ?

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondonkey View Post
    Alan once the Valab has burned in I can pop it up to you for a quick shoot out with the Lounge to see what you think.
    Sure thing Wayne, look forward to it.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    That's supposed to be square. Think it speaks for itself lol
    Not really ... I think Petrat was asking for sonic listening impressions?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Hi Alan.

What were your impressions of the Lounge Audio before you modified it?
    It was OK for a hundred and something note buy, but the response wasn't even at the bottom end and a simpler SS phono stage bettered it, particularly in clarity.

Once I'd delved into the circuitry it was apparent some weird sh*t was happening.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Not really ... I think Petrat was asking for sonic listening impressions?
    Fair enough but If I saw that in its specs, I wouldn't even audition it.

I'm Wayne.

Fair enough but If I saw that in its specs, I wouldn't even audition it.
    Same here. That's not being a measurebator, that's not bothering with things that are broken.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondonkey View Post
    Same here. That's not being a measurebator, that's not bothering with things that are broken.
    Absolutely spot on.

A lot of folks buy with their eyes. How many people actually read about the measured performance before a purchase?

Personally, I find it quite astonishing that things as fundamental to the unit's performance such as RIAA accuracy and hum from the traffo, seem to have been completely ignored. They MUST have tested it before it went into production.

I'm Wayne.

Absolutely spot on.

A lot of folks buy with their eyes. How many people actually read about the measured performance before a purchase?

Personally, I find it quite astonishing that things as fundamental to the unit's performance such as RIAA accuracy and hum from the traffo, seem to have been completely ignored. They MUST have tested it before it went into production.
    Actual transcript* from the pre launch meeting at Lounge Audio:

'But what happens if the reviewers start measuring the units and discover the truth'

'We will issue a pre-emptive strike by launching the golden eared reviewers to hype the amp to the stratosphere, using phrases like giant killer, musical, and veil lifting, now get on YouTube and start selling!'

*may not be THE actual transcript

I'm Peter.

Yes, agreed, it's not the greatest, Alan. As you say, a comparably-priced 'normal' stage easily bettered it ... in my case a Rothwell Simplex.

To my ears, the current Lounge Audio version seems to have been voiced with small, cheap speakers in mind ... bass boost and treble cut. It also seems to have problems with presenting a consistent soundstage. In fact on some recordings, whole instruments seemed to go missing! I had an earlier version a few years back, and it had neither of those problems, at least not to that degree. Since then, the designer has, apparently, listened to 'user feedback' and changed (ruined, actually) the design. Shame, as the original was quite a decent product for the money.

Must say that it did rather amuse me that neither of the engineers who tested it for ASR bothered to actually listen to it after seeing the test results.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Yes, agreed, it's not the greatest, Alan. As you say, a comparably-priced 'normal' stage easily bettered it ... in my case a Rothwell Simplex.

To my ears, the current Lounge Audio version seems to have been voiced with small, cheap speakers in mind ... bass boost and treble cut. It also seems to have problems with presenting a consistent soundstage. In fact on some recordings, whole instruments seemed to go missing! I had an earlier version a few years back, and it had neither of those problems, at least not to that degree. Since then, the designer has, apparently, listened to 'user feedback' and changed (ruined, actually) the design. Shame, as the original was quite a decent product for the money.

Must say that it did rather amuse me that neither of the engineers who tested it for ASR bothered to actually listen to it after seeing the test results.
    Shame Rothwell isn't here anymore. I also valued his opinion as it was based on fact.

I'm Tony.

That's supposed to be square. Think it speaks for itself lol
    Whether or not you are a measurement guy, that is fundamental flaw of the first order, not being able to replicate a basic waveform is like saying naim is capable of quality music reproduction
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast