+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anyone have a Valab LCR Phono Stage ?

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    If you put a square wave through an RIAA network surely that is what you'd expect?

Otherwise, what exactly do you think it should be doing with the high frequency component of the waveform? If it let it through unaltered it wouldn't be much use in eq'ing the output from a cartridge playing a record.

Here's an Aurorasound Vida reproducing a 1 KHz sine wave.

and here is the same phono stage applying RIAA correction to a 1 KHz square wave

That's what it's supposed to look like. You need to remember what a square wave actually is.
    Square?

Look, my understanding of these things may be rudimentary in comparison to guys like yourself but the fact it can't produce a square wave cannot be misinterpreted, surely.

My understanding is that the squarer the wave, the better the response. Is that not correct?
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > SIMaudio Moon LP5.3RS
    Digital: Orchard Audio PecanPi with JRiver
    Preamplifier: Neurochrome Differential Preamp
    Amplification: Neurochrome Modulus 686
    Speakers: Mordaunt Short Performance 880
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable

Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    If you put a square wave through an RIAA network surely that is what you'd expect?

Otherwise, what exactly do you think it should be doing with the high frequency component of the waveform? If it let it through unaltered it wouldn't be much use in eq'ing the output from a cartridge playing a record.

Here's an Aurorasound Vida reproducing a 1 KHz sine wave.

and here is the same phono stage applying RIAA correction to a 1 KHz square wave

That's what it's supposed to look like. You need to remember what a square wave actually is.
    I take you haven't applied inverse RIAA to the signal , square is a good indication but frequency sweep or white noise response tells bit more

I'm Alan.

Guy, the supposed square wave is 1KHz through a reverse RIAA network then through the phono stage. Hence the derision.

I'm Guy.

That would explain it if so. Out of interest, how accurate is your reverse RIAA?
    Last edited by pure sound; 26-06-2019 at 07:43.

I'm Alan.

Probably 0.5 dB, constructed with accurate parts.

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Probably 0.5 dB, constructed with accurate parts.
    It's a bit unfortunate the way this thread has panned out, a casual reader or someone jumping in might assume these dodgy traces are from the Valab, which they aren't .. they are from the Lounge Audio. I was confused myself when I came back into this thread.

Or maybe I'm just a bit slow.
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers with Tannoy ST50 supertweeters; Amp - Silvercore 833C monoblocks; preamp TBA watch this space; Vinyl: Schopper'd Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 9 inch and Ikeda IT-407 12 inch tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Takumi, Ikeda 9TT, vintage Ortofon SPU GM and SPU Gold; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Miyajima/Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage Allnic H7000V used with Miyajima ETR-Mono and ETR-Stereo SUTs; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily enhanced AN DAC based on kit but aspiring to DAC5 spec.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Marantz PM-4; Digital: CDP Sony CDP-X3000ES & Arcam rBlink; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT 1503 MkI broadcast arm, Ortofon SPU Classic GM, Ortofon 2-15k SUT and Puresound Tenuto platter mat

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    It's a bit unfortunate the way this thread has panned out, a casual reader or someone jumping in might assume these dodgy traces are from the Valab, which they aren't .. they are from the Lounge Audio. I was confused myself when I came back into this thread.

Or maybe I'm just a bit slow.
    +1
    No you are not a bit slow.
    The Thread was for the VALAB LCR

All this has nowt to do with the Valab Phonostage...
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / Tenuto gun metal mat / SME-3012r ikeda rewire / SME 3009 unimproved / audio-technica ATP-12T - phonomac modified / STEREO: Jan Allaerts MC1 Boron / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo' pre & phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: SW1X Audio Design DAC 1 signature / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456