+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anyone have a Valab LCR Phono Stage ?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    If you put a square wave through an RIAA network surely that is what you'd expect?

Otherwise, what exactly do you think it should be doing with the high frequency component of the waveform? If it let it through unaltered it wouldn't be much use in eq'ing the output from a cartridge playing a record.

Here's an Aurorasound Vida reproducing a 1 KHz sine wave.

and here is the same phono stage applying RIAA correction to a 1 KHz square wave

That's what it's supposed to look like. You need to remember what a square wave actually is.
    Square?

Look, my understanding of these things may be rudimentary in comparison to guys like yourself but the fact it can't produce a square wave cannot be misinterpreted, surely.

My understanding is that the squarer the wave, the better the response. Is that not correct?

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    If you put a square wave through an RIAA network surely that is what you'd expect?

Otherwise, what exactly do you think it should be doing with the high frequency component of the waveform? If it let it through unaltered it wouldn't be much use in eq'ing the output from a cartridge playing a record.

Here's an Aurorasound Vida reproducing a 1 KHz sine wave.

and here is the same phono stage applying RIAA correction to a 1 KHz square wave

That's what it's supposed to look like. You need to remember what a square wave actually is.
    I take you haven't applied inverse RIAA to the signal , square is a good indication but frequency sweep or white noise response tells bit more

I'm Alan.

Guy, the supposed square wave is 1KHz through a reverse RIAA network then through the phono stage. Hence the derision.

I'm Guy.

That would explain it if so. Out of interest, how accurate is your reverse RIAA?
    Last edited by pure sound; 26-06-2019 at 07:43.

I'm Alan.

Probably 0.5 dB, constructed with accurate parts.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Probably 0.5 dB, constructed with accurate parts.
    It's a bit unfortunate the way this thread has panned out, a casual reader or someone jumping in might assume these dodgy traces are from the Valab, which they aren't .. they are from the Lounge Audio. I was confused myself when I came back into this thread.

Or maybe I'm just a bit slow.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    It's a bit unfortunate the way this thread has panned out, a casual reader or someone jumping in might assume these dodgy traces are from the Valab, which they aren't .. they are from the Lounge Audio. I was confused myself when I came back into this thread.

Or maybe I'm just a bit slow.
    +1
    No you are not a bit slow.
    The Thread was for the VALAB LCR

All this has nowt to do with the Valab Phonostage...
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Denis.

So...after all this months (Happy new year to everyone...) all you owners of Valab lcr - how happy you are now with this interesting lcr phono...i presume it is burn in ...don't have any experience with this phono stage so i just ask.

I'm Phil.

Hi denis , im happy with mine , a bargain for sure , also very quiet , it does improve with over time , not yet tried it with an sut , lots of adjustments
    lots of detail all presented in a good way , also only paid £39 import duty and tax , you will have to wait a few weeks for it to turn up , but it arrived well packaged and in good condition , highly recommended , phil.
    Phil.

I'm martin.

I've had mine for a while now and it's very quiet and very smooth. I have no complaints whatsoever, but have to say that I generally find phono stages to be relatively neutral components in my system. Another phono stage that I have produces more deep bass (lusher sound with more bloom) - but maybe that's coloration? It is considerably noisier than the Valab and has coarseness in the midrange. That doesn't make it much less enjoyable than the Valab, but when you compare them - it becomes apparent. In any case, it hasn't brought about any serious change in the sound signature - the change of the cartridge, tonearm, wiring, setup, damping.... seems to have more effect. I'd like to try another top end phono stage and compare it to the Valab.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456