+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio station advice

I'm Dave.

Default Radio station advice

Hi everyone, I was after a bit of advice about a local radio station we are starting in Co. Durham.

We have a server to store music on and also iBroadcast which is a cloud based storage for music. We can also play music off
    Phones and things. We will be paying full ppl /prs etc.

My questions are :-

Is it worth using higher quality files to broadcast or is it limited by the broadcast software anyway? Could we do a hi-res broadcast?

Can I use a streaming service such as Spotify or does that breach their terms and will they know through inbuilt water marks - if not do they do a broadcast version?

Can I amass friends music files on the iBroadcast server to play on the station since we are paying PRS to broadcast?

Lastly - does anyone in the north east fancy getting involved ?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Sins of the Flesh ruddy hell don't hear of them very often, my mate used to follow them round the country.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Sins of the Flesh ruddy hell don't hear of them very often, my mate used to follow them round the country.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Ha, there are going to be some interesting shows on :-)

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigandbouncy View Post
    Hi everyone, I was after a bit of advice about a local radio station we are starting in Co. Durham.

We have a server to store music on and also iBroadcast which is a cloud based storage for music. We can also play music off
    Phones and things. We will be paying full ppl /prs etc.

My questions are :-

Is it worth using higher quality files to broadcast or is it limited by the broadcast software anyway? Could we do a hi-res broadcast?

Can I use a streaming service such as Spotify or does that breach their terms and will they know through inbuilt water marks - if not do they do a broadcast version?

Can I amass friends music files on the iBroadcast server to play on the station since we are paying PRS to broadcast?

Lastly - does anyone in the north east fancy getting involved ?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Spotifys licence terms are here: https://www.spotify.com/int/legal/end-user-agreement/
    specifically Section 9 you need to abide by... which infers you are by broadcasting not capable of respecting the rights of intellectual copyright owners
    on an individual basis. For instance you play Dire Straits Telegraph Rd, in theory you need to send a letter to Polygram informing
    the date place and time you played the piece to air. Polygrams response would be to sue you for copyright infringement, as it is clearly
    written on each piece of media that that is prohibited, and there is no defence.

The answer to this trap is for radio stations to own a performing rights licence - but there are invariably other entities that join in once
    the first licence is paid for, the worst of these being the record companies themselves.

Another answer is to look into creative commons music and select artists who allow you to promote their work free of other obligation.

You should immediately contact https://www.imro.ie
    and visit a existing community radio station to seek advice.

I'm Chris.

Concerning quality of reproduction in your replay chain, Yes try to get as good a quality as you can
    as this will attract audiences to you. Try and avoid too much compression, try and see how other stations
    preserve audio quality and at the same time do not overload transmission equipment.

Listening to other stations and comparing it to the original music source can be a ear opener so to speak,
    as to where conventional broadcasting strips the essence out of music. Some of the best quality broadcasting
    IMO occurs with classical music stations, as their audiences intently listen

I'm Chris.

Here is the link to the IMRO area concerning radio broadcasting: https://www.imro.ie/music-users/musi...dio-broadcast/

I'm Neil.

Interesting idea. Interested in seeing how this pans out. I could certainly contribute Melodic rock, prog and chill out dance music content.

Do you see this as music only, or a mixture of presenting and music?
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Here is the link to the IMRO area concerning radio broadcasting: https://www.imro.ie/music-users/musi...dio-broadcast/
    It would be UK government guides, rules, licences not Irish Republic ones.
    Regards Neil

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigandbouncy View Post
    Your right, I was a few hundred/thousand miles out this looks to be the organization to contact https://www.prsformusic.com/licences...music-on-radio

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Your right, I was a few hundred/thousand miles out this looks to be the organization to contact https://www.prsformusic.com/licences...music-on-radio
    Hi Chris, thanks for the advice, I'll bring those.points up at the meeting tonight :-)

One of the key members has experience of similar radio so may have some answers, its just a shame about Spotify as that's most of my music listening these days and where I make my play lists :-(

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast