+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radio station advice

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Interesting idea. Interested in seeing how this pans out. I could certainly contribute Melodic rock, prog and chill out dance music content.

Do you see this as music only, or a mixture of presenting and music?
    We are hoping to have music, local poets and historians doing podcasts, involvement from local young people etc.

My programme would be indie, metal, hip-hop and dance. Plus a local guest speaker. Though there is another argument - would mixing music genre put people off?

Dave

I'm Martin.

Interesting! I would have thought you need a wall full of framed licences to even start such a venture.

They go on about free speech but I would have thought its quite difficult getting permission to broadcast...know what I mean...we wouldnt want people getting at any truth now would we

There is a local one round here called canalside and I always joke that the adverts are like "come to veras chippy for an extra gravy deal"( in my Charlie Chuck voice)...its not good if Im honest so I really dont venture off radio 3, 4 or 6.

For me local radio needs to shake itself up away from a safe dont push any boundaries feeling. I dont even think its aimed at me. I remember feeling excited when talk radio started. Fast edgy but it soon became extremely lame and ended up as a sports channel.....boooooring.

You could go for it like Kurupt FM (look it up) with a twig on a tower block.

All the best to you though.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 11-03-2019 at 13:10.

I'm Russell.

Or, you could load all your gear onto a ship, and float out there just in international waters, and be an outlaw station! Or load it all into a truck and drive around as you broadcast, and never give out your real name! It may make hosting the poets more difficult, but at least you don’t have to pay any of those silly licenses! (I’m kidding of course, it is April first after all).

Russell

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Interesting! I would have thought you need a wall full of framed licences to even start such a venture.

They go on about free speech but I would have thought its quite difficult getting permission to broadcast...know what I mean...we wouldnt want people getting at any truth now would we

There is a local one round here called canalside and I always joke that the adverts are like "come to veras chippy for an extra gravy deal"( in my Charlie Chuck voice)...its not good if Im honest so I really dont venture off radio 3, 4 or 6.

For me local radio needs to shake itself up away from a safe dont push any boundaries feeling. I dont even think its aimed at me. I remember feeling excited when talk radio started. Fast edgy but it soon became extremely lame and ended up as a sports channel.....boooooring.

You could go for it like Kurupt FM (look it up) with a twig on a tower block.

All the best to you though.
    Surprisingly not. it's very different if you want to broadcast on on AM, FM as Ofcom are very protective of the transmission frequency across the country. DAB is similar and very expensive for a licence.
    Community internet is surprisingly accessible, as long as you keep the adverts below a certain percentage, when it becomes commercial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

What conclusion have you come to about broadcasting copyright material? I suspect the costs are inhibitive but I wonder how hospital radio works and if there's an answer there. As they are only doing it within a building or site I suspect it's not the same thing.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    What conclusion have you come to about broadcasting copyright material? I suspect the costs are inhibitive but I wonder how hospital radio works and if there's an answer there. As they are only doing it within a building or site I suspect it's not the same thing.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    It’s not too bad really, you get a prs/ppl community radio licence and use the host and their software to guesstimate the broadcast, paying a fee that is based on your audience. Any large buildings or business will be paying their own prs.
    The licence allows copying of music for station use too so I was going to ask If any members would like to upload their libraries :-)

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12