+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Streamer Renderer and Phono Pre

I'm Ian.

Default Streamer Renderer and Phono Pre

Having a rather passive time for the last 12 months or so I decided to use the time to build two units I needed , a Streamer/ Renderer to replace my CAPS 3 DIY PC streamer and a Phono Pre to help me get the best from my tweaked techie, and also to keep the mind active!
    In both instances I deliberately did not attempt to build the core pcb’s . With the Renderer it was way way beyond my skillset so no contest.
    With the Phono pre I had looked at the various DIY boards on offer and noted NONE gave one any tech spec, nor did I relish spending hours matching FET’s and suchlike. To get a guaranteed Pro Spec I used the DACT board.

Ill start with a short note on the Renderer and follow later with the Phono Pre as I need to take some photos.

The Manufacturers full spec/write up is available here

Phono Pre http://dact.com/html/phono_stages.html
    NMR Renderer https://www.engineered.ch/products/nmr/

Engineered supply other Audio manufacturers and have a few boards available for DIY similar to Hypex with their amps.

The NMR board comes complete with the MRMOD card installed on it. You need a 3.3v PSU.
    I built my own PSU and case to match my Benchmark DAC.
    The 3.3v supply was built using two regulators one as a floating pre, referenced to the final 3.3v. Reg. I could not find an off the shelf power unit from any of the main UK electronic component suppliers ( RS and Farnell) that met my requirements.
    If you download the data sheet on the NMR page 12 gives you a list of the Cinch connectors that fit the on board socket.
    Cinch UK were not helpful so I used a molex equivalent from Farnell -the SMB right angle plug 75 ohm Molex 73100-0256.
    My case output was a 75 Ohm BNC jack to jack insulated from chassis- Neutrik NBB75F1.
    I bought a 75 ohm BNC to BNC RG179 cable on ebay. Cut the length I needed leaving one BNC* connected and fitted the Molex to the other. The molex needs crimped ! !
    The Molex plugged into the card and the BNC onto the inside case end of the BNC jack to jack.
    I use a 75 ohm BNC to 75 ohm RCA for connection between the NMR and my DAC. This provides a completely co axial path from the NMR to my DAC with no connection to chassis.
    A case is very much a personal preference or two small cases one PSU one NMR. I used a Hammond 1455T220-1-104LF for my first NMR this is aluminium with a slide off top for access.
    (The prototype Hammond is in my workshop if anyone needs it!)
    I have two NMR’s, one housed in a Hammond case the other in a 1u half rack width case to match my Benchmark DAC 2. Both have run for 6 - 8 months with no hassle except when my Wi Fi goes belly up. The NMR uses an ip address sent to it by my router so the last digit of the ip address changes which means a few extra keystrokes on my ipad. I believe some routers allow you to specify a fixed ip address mine doesnt. I’m on a cheapie from Plusnet and Im not a computer buff.
    I use Jriver and remotely control the NMR as a DNLA upnp device with an old ipad.
    Audio quality is superb and to my ears the closest to analogue Ive heard in my system.
    Usual disclaimer I have no connection with engineered or DACT. I paid my money (and duty on the import from Switzerland) . More than I normally pay for a DIY project but I’m happy I got good product.
    Ill see how I get on loading photos, they speak a 1000 words.

[IMG][/IMG]
    The Hammond case
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The innards
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The 1U half rack case inards
    [IMG][/IMG]
    With Benchmark DAC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    As above in different layout above an old Sony Pro CDP.

An add seems to have appeared from nowhere Ive tried to get rid of it.I used Imgur for my photos are they the culprit?
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Mel.

Looks very nice Ian.

See post below for ad issue
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...54#post1032554

Mel

+ Reply to Thread