+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery powered CCA

I'm Nick.

Default Battery powered CCA

I've recently purchased this DC-DC Converter Step Down Module 12V to 5V 3A 15W USB Output Power Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G8PZS..._NaJFCbVK4DYEF

It works perfectly with the set up I have and now my CCA is powered by my car battery (which also powers my SEG & Capella).

I haven't listened enough to fully compare it to the powerbank I used previously to power the CCA.

Reason for the post is just a FYI. I had the CCA set up this way last night and I wasn't using it but I was powered on (I was listening to FLAC from my laptop). After about an hour it was very very warm, so I unplugged it.

Anyone know why this would be and how dangerous it is for the CCA?
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Paul.

I thought they got pretty hot even with the generic psu? Have you the checked the output voltage of your buck converter with a meter?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Gary.

With normal supply my CCA gets quite hot, I made a little heat sink for it, now runs much cooler
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    I thought they got pretty hot even with the generic psu? Have you the checked the output voltage of your buck converter with a meter?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I hope so, although I haven't encountered that myself. I don't have one at the moment, one I had wouldn't give readings and had to send it back, haven't got around to getting a new one. I do need to though
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    With normal supply my CCA gets quite hot, I made a little heat sink for it, now runs much cooler
    That's a relief.

That's interesting, how did you do that? I like the idea

I'm Lee.

Just fiddling around with mine,it does get surprisingly hot,interestingly I bought a Ethernet converter for it which gives a very slight difference over the stock usb power lead,what surprised me is I used a cd as the control for comparison,its the same recording,not a remaster vs old copy,dac settings are the same,spl levels are the same on my meter and I really can’t tell the difference at all,going to repeat the test in the dark as I seem to hear a difference better then.
    Going to build a little stand for it next,and add some heat sinks,then maybe a linear power supply,tried a mobile power bank recently and didn’t find any difference,although it was a freebie one so maybe not very good?

I'm Paul.

I used to use mine with an Anker Power Bank and I noticed an instance improvement. It lasted for ages if it was unplugged once I finished using it. However if I accidentally left it plugged in overnight, it would drain it as much as if it were being used.
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm tony.

my cca did get quite warm on the standard switching supply.....wouldn't say vet hot though!!

Have switched to a power bank havent checked it heat wise recently....will give it a check and report back....

I'm Nick.

I'm interested in the heat sink if anyone's got a guide on what the used to make one.

I know a bit about heat sinks but only for gaming PC's so the size is a bit different haha

I'm tony.

pm sent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast