+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gate Audio valve preamplifier with phono stage

montesquieu Guest

Default Gate Audio valve preamplifier with phono stage

Selling my really lovely Gate Audio valve preamp with phono stage.

This is a really well thought out valve preamp with a rather nice MM valve phono stage built in - all point to point wired, something like a Croft, only to my eyes the looks of the Gate are far superior with its lovely solid wood fascia and enamel cover for the case.

Info is a bit thin on the ground for these but I do see that the Emporium has one for sale at the moment: http://www.emporiumhifi.com/pre-owne...with-mm-phono/ this appears to be the same model, slightly different in cosmetics (shiny gold plated knobs, but no enamelled top).

Worked spectacularly well with a Croft 5C power amp I bought from Alan (Firebottle) but due to space constraints for my second system this has been sold, so the preamp is now redundant.

It uses 4 x 12AX7s, two each in the preamp and phono sections respectively. It arrived at me with some cheap Chinese tubes in the preamp section and nothing in the phono stage, I replaced these with Svetlana winged C’s and JJs respectively. The Svetlanas are NOS I’d been saving for a special occasion, the JJs brand new from Watford valve. It’s had very little use since these were fitted. It also has two valves in the power supply, acting as rectifier and regulator, but I forgot to take a note of what those are when I opened it for pics!

A few marks on the enamel top, and like most valve preamps, it’s not 100% silent if you turn the wick right up with no music playing, but nothing that intrudes in actual use, indeed it’s one of the most enjoyable, tuneful preamps I’ve ever had a play with.

Offered at £300 collected from Bracknell area, Berkshire, though a meet up at a sensible distance (M4, M3 etc) is possible. Not keen to post but might be persuaded to at seller’s risk.

I'm Mike.

Tempted but would need it posted unfortunately.

montesquieu Guest

Courier might be possible. I'd need to have a good look in the garage for a suitable box. I'd be tempted also to put some bubble wrap inside which would need removing before use (obvs!).

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Courier might be possible. I'd need to have a good look in the garage for a suitable box. I'd be tempted also to put some bubble wrap inside which would need removing before use (obvs!).
    Cool, do you know the spec to see if it will go ok with my Primaluna power amp, I'm not wanting to buy it and have gain issues.

montesquieu Guest

I haven't been able to find any specs as Gate Audio seem to have come and gone by the mid 90s so pre-dating the internet becoming a 'thing'.

It's fairly modest gain, it ran well with a Croft 5C power amp (croft power amps tend to be pretty sensitive) with no issues.

lordmortlock Guest

This could be of interest to a prospective buyer.

James, The chap selling the below, was formerly the technical director of GATE Audio. He now manufactures some lovely looking amps under the Vintage, Valve & Vinyl banner.

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/mobil...alve-amplifier

montesquieu Guest

Cheers Jake ... that translates to this - seems the chap is very much still in business https://www.vintagevalveandvinyl.co.uk/about-us/

montesquieu Guest

This is now sold, pending payment.

I'm Lawrence.

Someone will be happy I really enjoyed my time with this pre.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread