+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better than Pro--Ject Wash-It cleaning fluid?

I'm Ian.

I too was wondering about Wash It.
    I have just bought a S/H Project cleaner and used it a few times now.
    I built an ultrasonic unit a few years and played around with a multitude of "cleaning solutions " mostly based around iso alc but found an ultrasonic cleaner from Maplins (Now Gone) which worked well. To get the record dry I used a small Karcher but it lacked the vacumn power needed and had to finish the drying process with the record freestanding and catching dust as they dried.
    The Wash it with Project has so far given me excellent results, due Im sure, to the relatively high vacumn. To the extent that after some experience with Wash It I wouldnt want to try anything else- but one is always inquisitive.
    If I get a really bad record I can use my Ultrasonic then the Project cleaner.
    I thought Wash it was expensive till I looked at the price of other product bearing in mind its a 20 to 1 mix ration with de ionised water, available from our local Sainsbury store. It works best for me if the solution is a few degrees above room temp.
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Mel.

I'm pretty sure the instructions recommend raising the temperature to make it more effective.

I always put my solution in the microwave for 30 secs before use and have no complaints and no desire to try alternatives.

Mel

I'm richard.

I do aim to try this but I think the manual says you can warm it to 40c but lower the solution ratio to 1:20 when warm and it's more effective they say. Its 1:10 normally. The problem is keeping the temp at 40c all the time u are cleaning. I had the idea of a baby bottle warmer to warm it and maintain it at the correct temp to save trips to the microwave. Bonkers I know....

I'm Stuart.

I appreciate that I’ve resurrected a three year old thread but hope that’s OK. The other option was to start a new one!
    I’ve decided to go Ultrasonic for my vinyl cleaning after the usual journey using a manual spin cleaner. I’ve managed to set my kit up for just under £200.
    I’ve read so many different opinions about what cleaning solution to use and what ‘witches brew’ of ingredients works best. Ten different people - ten different answers!!
    My question is a really simple one.
    I realise that the Project ‘Wash It’ fluid is designed for a RCM but has anyone used it in an Ultrasonic and at what concentration?
    The main reason for asking is that I see it is non-alcohol based and although I’m in the ‘I’m OK with Ispropyl for vinyl cleaning’ camp, my mother has 60/70 old Shellac 78s which need a damn good clean and I know you shouldn’t use Isopropyl for that.
    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12