+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better than Pro--Ject Wash-It cleaning fluid?

I'm richard.

Default Better than Pro--Ject Wash-It cleaning fluid?

Hi all - I use the above on my RCM and I need some more. But, if u use this stuff then have u replaced with a better product ? If so then what's Yr recommendation?

BTW I'm well aware of the numerous ISA concoctions out there and may revert to that or stick with Wash-It... As it seems OK.

Anyway all views gratefully received!!!!

Cheers Richard

I'm Matt.

I reckon the wash-it is as good as anything else out there.
    Lots of people will come up with home brew concoctions which may or may not better it, but for ease of use, the ProJect stuff is very decent.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    Hi all - I use the above on my RCM and I need some more. But, if u use this stuff then have u replaced with a better product ? If so then what's Yr recommendation?

BTW I'm well aware of the numerous ISA concoctions out there and may revert to that or stick with Wash-It... As it seems OK.

Anyway all views gratefully received!!!!

Cheers Richard
    Have a read of this thread https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...ecord+cleaning

Go to my post #29 for my cleaning process and fluids, by the way I do not always use the Nitty Gritty fluid, it works well but I think pure Isopropyl Alcohol ca n be substituted if leave to soak for a few minutes, and before any one shouts it can damage the Vinyl, I suggest they check out some chemistry fact about Vinyl and Isopropyl Alcohol.

As you will see I tried all sorts of cleaning methods and have now just about cracked it without resorting to huge expense of cleaning machines to expensive fluids. Today my wife brought me 2 records from the local Hospiscare when she was out and one had what looked like glue redisidue from an old inner sleeve. No worries I started the process off with some pure Isopropyl Alcohol to free it up leaving it to soak for several minutes then vacuumed off, I then followed my cleaning regime as described and presto two very clean and quiet records.

It may seem laborious but if you want clean records and get the best from them then as far as I can find out this is the basic approach. Yes you can put all sorts of machines into it most do vacuuming anyway, which I do, some use ultra-sonic cleaners, but if you read between the lines you will soon find out these too need regular fluid changes and vacuuming dry between each clean.

If you find anything better or a wonder clean product let us know.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Grant.

Always make my own and its cheaper too. If you don't want the hassle just buy what works for you.
    Plenty recipes out there
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm richard.

Thank u Adrian; don't know how I missed that before!!!

I'll see what other contributions come in but I've looked at
    L'art du son before (don't fancy a furry RCM!), Nitty Gritty PUREnzyme+ Enzyme LP Record Cleaner and this one which is interesting - HANNL X2000 Vinyl Detergent (which foams). They have some excellent looking RCM'S BTW.

I'm Jason.

Bought the ingredients for simple home brew (80:20 Distilled Water/IPA mix, dash of Ilfotol) for around £30 on the 'Bay. Will last forever (well the Ilfotol will!). Works fine.
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Simon.

The Right One is all you need, imo of course.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    Thank u Adrian; don't know how I missed that before!!!

I'll see what other contributions come in but I've looked at
    L'art du son before (don't fancy a furry RCM!), Nitty Gritty PUREnzyme+ Enzyme LP Record Cleaner and this one which is interesting - HANNL X2000 Vinyl Detergent (which foams). They have some excellent looking RCM'S BTW.
    I assume you are referring to the reports of enzyme reported growth and separation. From my investigations quite a lot of the cleaners actually have some enzyme cleaner in them.

The key with L'Art du Son is to mix small amounts at a times 250ml and apply with a small atomiser, keep the fluid in a dark coloured bottle, if you suspect it is separating when you go to use later then throw away rinse out container with distilled H2O and mix some more. After applying L'Art du Son to the record and vacuuming off then apply distilled water and apply with a a pad specificities for the distilled H2O, and vacuum off as dry as possible. I have never had any furry deposits using this method and some records have I returned to to play have been in their new sleeves more than a year, quite long enough for something to happen.

The Nitty Gritty products are good but expensive and as I have compared and IMO you can get just as good results with what I use.

If you use a detergent such as HANNL X2000 Vinyl then make sure that you very thoroughly rinse the record with distilled H2O at least twice to ensure not residue is left behind. I have used detergent on some very badly soiled records that most people would probably have thrown in the bin, mainly due them getting damp in a dusty garage or shed and the inner sleeves breaking down and sticking to the vinyl. Even this can be recovered with persistence, secret is to use a warm solution of distilled H2O and detergent, put on the record and then leave to soak for up to 5 minutes and then use the cleaning pad, rinse and repeat several times, then complete the cleaning process as usual. You would be very surprised what can result. I have several records that went through this process which are quite hard to find, at least at sensible prices, and they actually have been hardly played just stored very poorly.

Have fun cleaning.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm richard.

Hi Jason - Thanks, but yes I'm aware of that solution and that many people use it. There doesn't seem to be a cheaper way to do it as you can easily make 5L's or it to last years.....

A few quick price checks on those i mentioned: L'Art Du Son is c£33, plus the distilled water for the solution plus rinsing. Nitty Gritty (1L neat) is c£32 plus the distilled water for rinsing. Hannl is c£32 for 2L, plus the distilled water. There are others like Keith Monks, ClearAudio etc all in the same'ish price range and yes there's a mix of standard cleaner types (mainly with ISA) and enzyme cleaners there. Whereas, Wash-It is a non-ISA cleaner and it looks OK value; plus the distilled water of course.

Thing is, I don't have a massive collection but I do occasionally add to it and, I have cleaned a lot already. I have around 160 LP's left to clean. About 30% of those need re-cleaning (used a Knosti) and the rest have never been cleaned including some 180gms LP's. After that lot is done then its just occasional cleaning maintenance.

So, a very effective cleaner that's also cost effective is whats needed. And really, the choice seems to be own ISA solution or more Wash-It.

Arrrggghhhhhh !! decisions, decisions !! LOL

I'm richard.

Thanks again Adrian good advice to take on board.

With Art Du Son I was indeed referring to the reports of growths occurring - not on the LP's as i'd double rinse if I was using it - no, the worry was within the RCM as it seems to me that it would need its own cleaning plus the need to keep creating new solutions of it. But there's mixed views on that and really they'd not sell the product if it was that bad !.

So, in summary, it would seem that I need 2 solutions. One for badly soiled (detergent/enzyme) and one for normal cleaning (ISA solution or Wash-IT again)

cheers, Richard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast