+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got a Variac transformer?

I'm Paul.

Default Anyone got a Variac transformer?

Hi all

Wasn't sure where to put this request, but thought DIY might be the best option.

Does anyone living in the Surrey area have a variac transformer they could kindly lend me for an hour?

I got some old tube amps I need to bring back from the dead and don't really want to buy one especially for the task.

No worries if not.

Cheers.

P
    Paul.

I'm Alan.

If you can't beg borrow or steal one the next best thing is to wire a standard 60W incandescent light bulb in series with the mains input.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    If you can't beg borrow or steal one the next best thing is to wire a standard 60W incandescent light bulb in series with the mains input.
    Hi Alan

Keep hearing about this but never done it before, is there an explanation / guide somewhere on how to do this?

Cheers
    Paul.

I'm Grant.

It works as a current limiter.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    It works as a current limiter.
    Something like this dim bulb tester?

https://antiqueradio.org/dimbulb.htm
    Paul.

I'm Paul.

I've replaced all the resistors and capacitors save for 2 original electrolytes associated with the rectifier tube and the transformer which I want to keep. The tubes have been tested as strong.
    Paul.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur07 View Post
    Something like this dim bulb tester?

https://antiqueradio.org/dimbulb.htm
    That's it.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    That's it.
    But does this method mean the transformer gets the full whack of mains at once though?
    Paul.

I'm Paul.

Ok I just read somewhere that the resistance of the light bulb limits the voltage that will reach the equipment. By increasing the bulb (wattage?), you can increase the power to the equipment.
    Paul.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur07 View Post
    Ok I just read somewhere that the resistance of the light bulb limits the voltage that will reach the equipment. By increasing the bulb (wattage?), you can increase the power to the equipment.
    Yup!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast