Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Graham.

Hi jac,
    I had a chat with the AT rep at Bristol and he recommended the Art 7 for classical and the Art 9 for rock, pop.
    The higher gain of the 9 also makes it a bit easier to match if you want to experiment with SUTs
    I am sure you will enjoy whichever you purchase :-)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I never think it's a good recommendation if one model is considered to be good for 'classical', and another for 'rock, pop' etc. A good cartridge should be able to reproduce anything cut into the record groove with equal ability.
    Barry

I'm jamie.

barry id take that statement with a pinch of salt,i play all types of music and i excels in all genre's.
    if its true id like to know how the cartridge knows what type of music its playing lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    barry id take that statement with a pinch of salt,i play all types of music and i excels in all genre's.
    if its true id like to know how the cartridge knows what type of music its playing lol
    Totally agree. I never found it wanting for anything with any material I threw at it. It *maybe* sounded at it best with acoustic guitar and vocals. The Starsailor album "Love is here" absolutely flowed like syrup out of the speakers using a Modified Tron Convergence & ART-7. It's a sound that I still remember to this day.

If I were to revisit this manufacturer, I think I'd get the 9. It's better, from what I've read, at neutrality according to user reports. Thats the only area I wasnt really struck with. It is a slightly warm cartridge but for £1k new, Its superb.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I never think it's a good recommendation if one model is considered to be good for 'classical', and another for 'rock, pop' etc. A good cartridge should be able to reproduce anything cut into the record groove with equal ability.
    100% agree Barry, a good cart is a godd cart regardless of the music

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm mark.

Buy the one that suits the phono stage. I’ve another very low output AT, and an art 9. On “normal “ phono stages 0.1mv output makes the noise noticeable, the Art9 is a healthy 0.3.

I'm Alex.

Shotgun on the ART-9 if you get it and it isn't for you

I'm Karl.

Default Audio Technica MC advice

Ive recently bought the Art 9 and it is a suberb piece of kit. I had the ortofon rondo bronze before and this adds a bigger soundstage , more detail, more holographic and more dynamics. Its massively underpriced IMO so a bit of a bargain at 8-900 new. I was lucky enough to get one with 40ish hours on it so got it half retail price, and its taken about another 30hrs to open up fully but its firing on all cylinders now and a great match for my whest 2.2. (65db ,100ohm same as firebottle) which is only a cats knacker better than the OTP I had too, so i think it would be a great pairing. Buy with confidence but do give it some time to fully work its magic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Chip.

Hi, I've never personally heard an ART 9 or 7 but I currently have a AT33 PTGii, which was my first MC cart and I think it sounds really great given the price point. Set-up was not easy due to the dizzyingly thin micro-linear stylus, so much so that I had to call in a pro to set it up using his smart protractor for a reasonable fee. Once it was locked in though I was amazed at the improvement in sound, texture and imaging as well as information retrieval. Prior to the proper alignment and set-up I was going through buyers remorse because I thought that my previous cart, an AT440mla MM sounded more lively and had better bass slam.

Admittedly, my understanding of cart alignment and set-up was quite basic to begin with so if you have a firm grasp on it then I think that whatever AT MC cart you end up with will be most rewarding as AT makes great MC cartridges.
    Last edited by chipcalzada; 13-03-2019 at 05:03.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast