+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Technica MC advice

I'm Mike.

Default Audio Technica MC advice

i'm looking to have a go with MC carts, currently I'm using an Ortofon VMS30 mk II which i like a lot, but i've just upgraded my tonearm and other parts of my TT and well i just fancy getting a MC to see what all the hype's about.

I'm looking at Audio Technica in particular as i can get anything in their range through work at a huge discount, so even if i don't like it i will be able to move it on without loosing money. The 2 carts i'm interested in are the AT ART7 and the ART9, so i'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who's had either of them, what they think of them and how they compare against each other as they're roughly the same price, basically i want to get the best one for my setup, also if anyone knows of another cart in the AT range I should be considering.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

Bigman80 Guest

I used a AT-ART7 for a little while but here what I wrote about it in 2017. I'll add a few bits marked with a *

Audio Technica AT-ART7 mc Cartridge,

A few seconds into the test track of the day, "Dire straits – Private investigations", i knew this little cart was very special indeed. The best way to describe it is to forget everything AT is synonymous with. Neutral, toppy, polite, blah, blah, blah

This cartridge is ballsy, dynamic, punchy and downright addictive!!! It delivered the drumstrike with such exhuberance that the very fine hairs on my bald head moved. I am serious!!! It was breathtakingly dynamic. Detail wasnt quite at the *extreme* level the Ortofon Vienna reached and the soundstage was slightly smaller *good and deep but width doesn't surpass the edge of the speaker* but goddam, this cartridge came very very close. It was also slightly, very slightly, maybe on the warm side *which got on my tits after a while"!!! the nylon guitar sounded snappy and full of that twang and snappy tone i look for and it just kept the pace and timing perfectly. It never got muddled or messy either. Well devoloped bass lines were easy to follow *suffer a little loss of leading edge but not enough to worry about, I'm just very sensitive to it"* and the top end was well extended. A really well balanced performance.

Karma67 has this cartridge now. He will testify to how good a cartridge it is. Strangely enough, Angus and I were discussing this cartridge the other day and the conclusion was that he had a preference for the AT OC9II. I've never heard one so can't comment from personal experience.

From a personal perspective, the AT-ART7 Was unable to dislodge the Ortofon Kontrapunkt B. I far preferred the better width of soundstage and more neutral presentation. The ART7 did however have a more "alive" sense about it.

If you can get one cheap enough, I don't see you having a problem. Just be aware of the low output.

I'm Mike.

Thanks for that Oliver, i'll be running it through a Firebottle OTP III phono stage which i hope will compliment whatever i choose.

Like I said, I will buy it through work which does restrict my choice to the manufacturers we have accounts with, being a pro AV firm we don't really sell cartridges so my choices are limited to those that make other equipment like mics, but at the prices I would pay it makes it a no brainer.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Thanks for that Oliver, i'll be running it through a Firebottle OTP III phono stage which i hope will compliment whatever i choose.

Like I said, I will buy it through work which does restrict my choice to the manufacturers we have accounts with, being a pro AV firm we don't really sell cartridges so my choices are limited to those that make other equipment like mics, but at the prices I would pay it makes it a no brainer.
    There really isn't much not to like about it. AT don't get enough credit imo and the ART7 is a very good cartridge. If it was Ortofon or Benz you'd pay twice as much.

I'd like to have heard the ART9. I believe that would suit me more but tbh, I've never heard an AT MC cartridge that delivers that leading edge on the bass in the way I like.

The AT33PTGII did the same and in a lot of ways I think pushed the ART-7 and matched it. The AT33PTGII was more neutral but again the Kontrapunkt B was my choice.

Again, I had different gear then but the jolida phonostage was very detailed and it was VERY truthful in its performance even if it was a little lean at times.

I'm jamie.

hi mike,
    i completely agree with all Oliver said above,its a great cartridge,i have no desire to change mine at all.
    when i first heard it at angus's i bought it there and then.
    if you find yourself in my neck of the woods,you are most welcome to have a listen.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Jonathan.

Hi Mike,

I have had the Art9 for about 9 months which replaced a Zyx Airy3. I was looking for something more dynamic and it certainly delivers. It does this in a refined way though and does not lose control. It tracks really well (in an SME IV) and was easy to set up.

Bass is tight and extended, mid bass solid - drums are hit rather than thudded. Treble is a little more forward than the Zyx and can sound a little harsh if the rest if the system allows it, however I have got it to the point of detail and lacking any harshness. Vocals are good but probably a bit further back in the soundstage than the Zyx.

Overall very pleased with this cartridge and good value, especially if you can get it at a discount.

I'm John.

I have been in discussion about the ART 7 and have only heard positive comments and descriptions about it.
    I considered buying a AT Cartridge as a result.
    The ART 7 and ART 9 both have followers that will snap one up at a fair price.
    I believe a ART 9 was recently imported into the UK form Australia for a £650 purchase price, I discussed this same cartridge with the vendor.
    If your heavily discounted price allows a cartridge to be sold on with ease, then the ART 7 and ART 9 are both options to trial, as there should be no concerns about losing monies on the model that is not kept.
    If the option was available I would not restrict myself to one Phonostage to assess a cartridge, try and loan another one or two, or loan a few SUT's.
    In the past months I have been doing the above through attending Bake Off's and visiting individuals homes.
    During home visits, I have experiencd the Vienna through four phonostages and One SUT model. All had a variance on how the replay was presented, it was a case of each to their own.
    So subjectively the support / non support of a models audition, could easily be decided by a listener.
    I auditioned my modified K'b through Two Phonostages with the same SUT model, a on another occasion a owner tweaked Bigbottle. Very soon the models that will be used on the K'b will increase.
    I am biased to my K'b, I have heard very little of it in use, from memory each audition left me feeling that the strengths were being put forward, and other listeners expressed a approval of the performance.
    I have heard a Factory Original K'b through Three Different Phonostages, with Two different power supplies as well as Three SUT Models.
    Again each set up offers a different insight into the performance available, each replay being very good, with each configuration, allowing for a more defined focus on a particlar frequencies presence being projected.
    I feel each noticable enough to be worthwhile making a reference to.
    The ART 7 and ART 9 will only really find their place in a system when the supporting interface devices are selectively chosen to fine tune them to your personal preference.
    Start with the fair priced AT Cartridges available, but imo this is the first step, there is a much better personal taste in a replay produced, when other interface devices are worked with.

I'm Mike.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice, i know the only real way to decide is to have a listen and that means either attending bake offs and hope someone has one or go to a shop and ask for an audition, personally my moral compass wouldn't let me take the 2nd as i would have no intention in buying the cart from them.

As i've already said i'm in the fortunate position to be able to get one through work, that price from Australia is very keen John, but i can still beat it by a fair margin i think i'm leaning towards the ART9 although from the comments there isn't a great deal to choose between them and it's more about personal taste . i find it strange the AT make 2 very similar carts that are competing at very similar prices.

I'm Mel.

I use the AT33ev and OC9II with my Audiomods arm and both suit it beautifully. I never feel the desire to move further up the range. Ironically i moved away from a Kontra b to where I am now and doubt i would move back to the Ortofon sound. But hey, we all like different sounds and none are better - just different.

mel

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    I use the AT33ev and OC9II with my Audiomods arm and both suit it beautifully. I never feel the desire to move further up the range. Ironically i moved away from a Kontra b to where I am now and doubt i would move back to the Ortofon sound. But hey, we all like different sounds and none are better - just different.

mel
    Exactly right Mel, it's all about how much the person listening enjoys the sound. There is no "one size fits all'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast