+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amp upgrade

I'm James.

Question Amp upgrade

Help I think have fallen down the rabbit hole and I can't see the bottom! I'm looking at upgrading the amp in my current setup:

Cambridge Audio One
    Cambridge Audio Minx XL Speakers
    Onkyo SKW-409 subwoofer

I'm looking at the Rotel A14 Integrated Amp. However one thing I can't figure out is how I'd connect the subwoofer. I have RTFM and still can't figure out how I'd connect the subwoofer.

I'd appreciate some enlightenment from someone who knows more than I do about how I'd go about connecting a sub to the A14.

I'm Steve.

Hi James
    I'm pretty sure you have pre out on the Ra14, just connect to that.

Thats assuming you have an rca connection on the back of the sub ???

Steve.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Martin.

The Rotel does have RCA pre-out sockets. Don't know about the sub but it would be pretty weird if it did not have RCA line in sockets. Just connect the two and you're cooking on gas.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The Rotel does have RCA pre-out sockets. Don't know about the sub but it would be pretty weird if it did not have RCA line in sockets. Just connect the two and you're cooking on gas.
    As Martin says you have RCA out and looking at various Onkyo subwoofer manuals they have one input to connect to and then volume adjustment, I cannot find a specific manual for the Onkyo SKW-409 subwoofer. Take a picture of the rear of it and put up here.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm James.

Thanks Steve, Martin, and Adrian!

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    As Martin says you have RCA out and looking at various Onkyo subwoofer manuals they have one input to connect to and then volume adjustment, I cannot find a specific manual for the Onkyo SKW-409 subwoofer. Take a picture of the rear of it and put up here.
    Here is the back side:

https://imgur.com/jgr14zq

Pretty basic.

So:

Sub > Pre Out (either L or R, I'm assuming it doesn't matter which) with the RCA cable.

Easy.
    Last edited by Jingles; 02-03-2019 at 13:07. Reason: Image didn't work.

I'm Martin.

That's all there is to it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread