+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone think Radio 2 is sounding a bit better lately?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Default Anyone think Radio 2 is sounding a bit better lately?

I think almost everyone dismisses Radio 1 because of the boring, shouting presenters and often rubbish music they play (Kiss FM does far better IMO), but recently, I've found the music on Radio 2 sounding a bit better than before, with less obvious compression and a far clearer treble sound, with only a small sacrifice in transmitted "volume" level. Still a bit bass light, but to get the clearer sound elsewhere is great IMO.

Am I alone, or has anyone else noticed this or is it just me with a good-ear day?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Never listen to Radio 2, but I thought Radio 3 was - via iPlayer on my Squeezebox
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Radio 4 is the one that has traditionally never had compression added, according to an ex BBC engineer friend of mine. Radio 3 does on occasion, 2 used to be bad and 1 was unlistenable. I just tuned in the other night to the fag end of the Bob Harris show and found the music to sound much better and the same this lunchtime...

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Yes.
    I listen to Radio 2 via iPlayer on my Squeezebox/Caiman.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I think almost everyone dismisses Radio 1 because of the boring, shouting presenters and often rubbish music they play (Kiss FM does far better IMO), but recently, I've found the music on Radio 2 sounding a bit better than before, with less obvious compression and a far clearer treble sound, with only a small sacrifice in transmitted "volume" level. Still a bit bass light, but to get the clearer sound elsewhere is great IMO.

Am I alone, or has anyone else noticed this or is it just me with a good-ear day?
    hi dave,
    i tend to agree with your findings, i listen to radio 2 most of the day while working and it does seem to have improved of late!
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

As an addend to my last post - we're now getting track & artist information coming through on Squeezebox Server on the web interface.

Any Touch owners able to comment further ?
    Last edited by Stratmangler; 06-05-2010 at 14:21.
    Chris

I'm David.

we were listening to planet rock or something similar over dab the other day in the shop.. we had to turn it off it sounded so gash.. it was coming through at 64kbps..
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    we were listening to planet rock or something similar over dab the other day in the shop.. we had to turn it off it sounded so gash.. it was coming through at 64kbps..
    Good reason not to listen to DAB.
    It comes through at 128 kbps CBR on the internet.
    Chris

I'm David.

DAB at 192 was barely adequate and occasionally fooled by the harmonics in presenters' voices where 256 cured it almost completely, so why they're bothing making it even worse and especially at 64kbs is beyond me..

+ Reply to Thread