+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F M Aerial

I'm brian.

Default F M Aerial

Hi, Have recently moved my hi fi into a another room which sonically speaking is much better. However the one snag is there s no connection to roof top aerial,
    so just wondered if someone has tried indoor one thats kind of semi decent ?. Missing my radio 2/ 3 live broadcasts

I'm brian.

Idiot, this should be elsewhere. Sorry

I'm brian.

Thanks.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Don't worry - I have moved it.

An internal aerial will never be as good as a roof top mounted one (or even one in the loft), but some 'active' set-top antennae are good.

BBC Radios 2 and 3 will be broadcast at high power (EPR) so you ought not have any difficulty. Do you know where your local transmitter is?
    Barry

I'm brian.

Seems to be the biggy at Crystal Palace. As a little aside our tv H D channels are a bit hit and miss, few dropped out over the last year.
    Thanks.

I'm brian.

Were near Belsize Park tube, which is not that low down but we are surrounded by Hampstead Heath and Primrose Hill. No idea if that affects anything ?

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysta...itting_station, your FM transmitter is at Wrotham in Kent with an ERP of 4kW.

Which way is your roof-top aerial pointed?
    Barry

If aesthetics are not too important, you could try taking a piece of 75Ohm coaxial cable and stripping the outer insulation away for a distance of 720mm, separating the inner and outer conductors over that length and arrange the whole horizontally. If that works, then there are several aethetically acceptable dipoles you can buy for little cost.
    Barry

I'm brian.

Barry my DIY skills are zero mate so more interested in the active antennae you mentioned. Our aerial seems okay, in that it s pointed the same way as our neighbours ( roughly towards Kent )
    Just to mention were the bottom flat of 4 storey victorian house, but presuming that wound nt matter much ?. Is that ERP reading any good ?. Thanks for your help this afternoon

I'm Svend.

Brian,

I have the same problem as you. I have tried an indoor active antenna with mixed results. Some stations are clear and strong, others are static and fuzz. I haven't found a solution as yet, but I think I will try this one next:

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/st-2-om...al-fm-antenna/

It is apparently very good. But it will mean running a cable to outdoors. Not sure if that's doable for you.

Have you tried a simple dipole ribbon? If you have a spot to discretely spread one out, say a 6 ft. span, that might be all you need. Cheapest solution too. I don't have the space for one, unfortunately...that WAF thing, you know.

Let me know how you make out with this.

Best,
    Svend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast