+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Streaming

I'm Grant.

got a reply from Qobuz.... we are working on our app. why dont you just use audirvana; its good..... My reply will be why dont you refund me 10 quid a month till you fix it. that might get some urgency into you.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Barry.

Radio Paradise Volumio plug in, good quality flac streaming for free.

I'm Twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I have Spotify Family, mainly because my two daughters and both grandkids use it too.

I also have Tidal HiFi for my main system in the living room. Tried it vs Qobuz and Tidal won out due to Qobuz having far too few of the artists and albums that I like.
    Ditto (sans grandkids!).
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Tidal is on currently with a 90 day trial, so I may well give it a go. (Currently Spotify premium family membership which I would keep anyway) but a few questions if someone can help?

1. Can you save tracks to your device with Tidal like you can Spotify (either to play when offline, or to save bandwidth when the kids are watching YouTube
    2. Assuming I can install it onto more than one computer, can you control which devices it plays on like with Spotify - i.e. I have it playing on one computer or device can I make on the fly changes to tracks playing and volume from another laptop?
    3. Can I play my own FLAC library through it? (One really annoying limitation of Spotify...)

I can't think of anything else at the moment, and probably best for me to just have a play, but I would very much appreciate any advice on the above questions - thanks in advance.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I took the plunge and downloaded Tidal on Saturday, so am now evaluating it. In summary, the sound quality is fantastic compared to Spotify, and so far I haven't found any of my favourite albums that are on Spotify that are missing. I am loving the "Masters" too, get quite excited when I find one of my favourite albums is a master!

However, in the usability stakes, Spotify is so much better. I've updated the questions I posed below, but the big deal for me is the lack of the Spotify Connect type function, where I can just open the app on a phone or tablet and control the music. I'm using Windows RDP from laptop to hi-fi rig, which sort of works, but isn't ideal. I'll be keeping Spotify anyway, so I see that it will end up being my mobile app, and for background music, Tidal will become my hi-fi source. Will also investigate some of the other players like Volumio and Audirvana as they look like they may offer a better option in combining my FLAC library with Tidal in the same interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    1. Can you save tracks to your device with Tidal like you can Spotify (either to play when offline, or to save bandwidth when the kids are watching YouTube
    Update 18/06: You can only save tracks for offline use to mobile devices (phone/tablet.)

2. Assuming I can install it onto more than one computer, can you control which devices it plays on like with Spotify - i.e. I have it playing on one computer or device can I make on the fly changes to tracks playing and volume from another laptop?
    Update 18/06: You can install on more than one device, but they are all standalone players and don't "talk" to each other

3. Can I play my own FLAC library through it? (One really annoying limitation of Spotify...)
    Update: 18/06: No
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I use Tidal through Roon, give that a go and see what you think. You can play your ripped files through it.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Like Ali, I am currently running Tidal with another serving application - in my case it's piCoreplayer running LMS.
    Access to my FLAC library is simple, and access to Tidal straightforward enough. Same with Spotify.
    The only issue (if it's an issue) is the need to access the Tidal web player to add or remove things from my virtual library.

LMS is freeware, and it's very stable, coz it's mature.
    They've been at it longer than most.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Gary.

Definitely better than Tidal.

Agreed.
    Recently cancelled Tidal after doing comparisons and Qobuz won out every time, to my ears, at every bitrate even 16/44.

Qobuz 24/192 version of Allman Brothers at the Filmore is terrific, best live record experience I've heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by disarmamant View Post
    Definitely better than Tidal.

Agreed.
    Recently cancelled Tidal after doing comparisons and Qobuz won out every time, to my ears, at every bitrate even 16/44.
    Qobuz 24/192 version of Allman Brothers at the Filmore is terrific, best live record experience I've heard.

Love Spotify for hearing new music, the link to Shazam is really great when your out n about and you hear something new you like.
    Usually look for it then on Qobuz.

If it's not there I can happily live with Spotify 320K MP3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Cheers lads. Roon does look like it might do what I would need but is a lot of dosh! I'll give LMS a go first, I think. And best try Qobuz then by the look of it. Thanks again.
    Alex

I'm Grant.

Cheaper version of roon is audirvana. Some say it sounds better too, although i dont know.
    I liked qoboz but their windows app never works so i ditched them.
    Tbh i dont think sound wise there is much between them when i ran them side by side in audirvana.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast