+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Streaming

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Gary.

Default Streaming

Which streaming service do you guys use,

I use Deezer, Amazon, my daughter uses spotifi, Does anyone use Tidal.

Which one in your opinion is the best to use including value for money. bit rates, sound etc.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by zzag View Post
    Which streaming service do you guys use,

I use Deezer, Amazon, my daughter uses spotifi, Does anyone use Tidal.

Which one in your opinion is the best to use including value for money. bit rates, sound etc.
    I use TIDAL, Spotify is poor quality but fine if you are just listening on the go on mobile device, Amazon What HiFi review "Amazon has been coy about revealing its streaming bitrate, claiming to support 'multiple bitrates’, but we’d bet our reference hi-fi system that it’s not dissimilar from Spotify’s 320kbps streams. At best.".

Deezer has a variety of streaming SQ plans and can go top to FLAC on:-
    TechRadar review for Deezer:-
    "Final verdict
    Every streaming service has its strengths and weaknesses. Where Tidal seems to offer the best curated content, Spotify puts friends' music front and center. Apple Music has the best mainstream music anywhere on the planet, while Google Play Music integrates perfectly with Android devices. Deezer's secret sauce is its massive, global music library and cornucopia of HD tracks.

Admittedly, its apps have a ways to go to catch up to the rest of the pack, and its curated lists are severely hurting in terms of more frequent additions. But, ultimately, it's a fine music streaming service for the globetrotting audiophile or Sonos-equipped music snob."

Personally I use TIDAL via Volumio to my Raspberry Pi/DAC to HiFi system. If I want Hi Res then I run Audirvana on my MacBook Pro and access TIDAL through that, if I am just easy listening to general playlists then I will use the TIDAL app on iPhone to iPad to Volumio or on headphones.

I have not tried Deezer so can't comment on it SQ compared to what I use.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Grant.

ive tried them all bar itunes
    Amazon; variable bit rates, and not great overall but price is decent if you use amazon prime etc.
    Spotty; is excellent for a non flac and with an eq fitted sounds very good.
    Deezer; Lower bit version is hot, and tiresome. their flac is very good tho. good catalogue too.
    Tidal; Was the daddy, and probably still is value for money wise, if you can utilise the masters.
    Qoboz; been trialing this for a while. its very good; the hi rez is a bit pricey tho, and not tried it. Catalogue isny as good but i do like it even if the windows app refuses to work properly if at all.

overall, if spotty dit hirez they would be numero uno but dont so crown overall stays currently with tidal, although i do like qoboz so, we shall see...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Matt.

Best for SQ are Tidal & Qobuz.
    Spotify has the largest library of all.
    Qobuz has the best library if you are primarily interested in classical music.
    Spotify, Apple & Amazon are all great for more casual listening, ie on a mobile device or on a Sonos speaker for instance.
    Tidal at first glance seems to highlight the type of music manufactured by the celebrity owners, but in reality there is a massive catalogue for most tastes.
    Most will give a months free trial to help you work out which is best for you.
    I settled on Tidal with the top tier Hifi stream, £20 a month. Sounds a lot at first, but it stops me from wasting at least that much on cd’s or lps that I previously would have bought on a whim. Tidal neatly integrates into Audirvana which I also use.

I'm Martin.

I use Qobuz Studio with Roon direct to Roon ready Devialet 440 Pro. Roon Eliminates the use of the Qobuz front ends.

I did not like Tidal as the classical catalog is not as good as Qobuz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Adam.

I also use Qobuz Studio (lossless CD quality + Hi-Res 24/96 + 24/192 where available)....

.....£25 a month seems reasonable for this level of quality.

Tried Tidal but did not work well with the Orange Squeeze android app I use to control my Raspberry Pi / Wolfson Audio card combo. I stream my Pi running SqueezeLite linked to Logitech Media Server as a cheap Squeezebox clone (outputting via coax on the Wolfson card to my DAC).

Qobuz works well in my setup and is particularly good in providing the jazz and classical side of stuff (as well as French classics like Serge Gainsbourg of course).

.....Some say the sound quality of Qobuz lossless is better than Tidal.
    Adam.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    I also use Qobuz Studio (lossless CD quality + Hi-Res 24/96 + 24/192 where available)....

.....£25 a month seems reasonable for this level of quality.

Tried Tidal but did not work well with the Orange Squeeze android app I use to control my Raspberry Pi / Wolfson Audio card combo. I stream my Pi running SqueezeLite linked to Logitech Media Server as a cheap Squeezebox clone (outputting via coax on the Wolfson card to my DAC).

Qobuz works well in my setup and is particularly good in providing the jazz and classical side of stuff (as well as French classics like Serge Gainsbourg of course).

The Jane birkin album on qoboz is a smasher.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    Definitely better than Tidal.

I'm Gary.

Agreed.
    Recently cancelled Tidal after doing comparisons and Qobuz won out every time, to my ears, at every bitrate even 16/44.

Qobuz 24/192 version of Allman Brothers at the Filmore is terrific, best live record experience I've heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by disarmamant View Post

Agreed.
    Recently cancelled Tidal after doing comparisons and Qobuz won out every time, to my ears, at every bitrate even 16/44.
    Qobuz 24/192 version of Allman Brothers at the Filmore is terrific, best live record experience I've heard.

Love Spotify for hearing new music, the link to Shazam is really great when your out n about and you hear something new you like.
    Usually look for it then on Qobuz.

If it's not there I can happily live with Spotify 320K MP3.

AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

Agreed.

I found the reverse when I did that test a couple of years ago now. Maybe more... maybe something has changed.

The TIDAL mobile app is excellent. The Windows app much less so.

But the more recent tailored to your tastes TIDAL playlists are surprisingly really friggin' good I have found. Or when an album ends it carries on playing similar stuff and that's great too.

If you want the best from Queerbuz it looks expensive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast