+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Streaming

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Thanks Malcolm. That helps. I'll be using it into my DAC with SPDIF so I can't see how it would be any worse than the laptop, might even be better.
    Even the inbuilt DAC is pretty good on the Duet
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The Duet is so called because it was sold as such, and comprised of The Receiver and The Controller.
    The Receiver is the bit you'd be hooking up to an external DAC.
    It has the same native capabilities as the SB3 (or Classic).

So anything up to 24/48.
    The server will downsample anything above this on the fly.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Cheers Chris. Not really that worried about the controller, but it might be easier for the missus! . Plus, the receiver looks like it might be trickier to set up on its own and the price of a Duet vs. Receiver on its own isn’t really worth worrying about. That said, not 100% sure what I’m going to do with Tidal as I have hardly used my free trial, and it’s the Masters that really impress, which it looks like won’t work at full Rez with the Duet. Hmmmm. Decisions decisions. Do quite like the idea of something Pi based, but that would be in addition. I guess the luxury of having at least 4 systems setup is plenty of options!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

If you have a RasPi try throwing piCorePlayer onto it.
    You can set it up as player or server, or both.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Gary.

For the complete “Mrs friendly” experience, I’d be looking at an SB3 purely for its display over the Duet.
    Into a Dac they’d both sound the same, but the experience is much nicer.

The display can be configured to show VU meters as well, which is very groovy.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    The display can be configured to show VU meters as well, which is very groovy.
    Now I'm sold on it! Cheers Gaz!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Now I'm sold on it! Cheers Gaz!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

Alex

I'm Gary.

AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

Great VU meters, slightly dubious music choice though! Funnily enough after a bit of further research I think the Touch might be the one to go for. That's just sealed the deal - thanks Gaz!
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast