+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Record store day 2019

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Actually I dont like the whole concept of record store day. I dont like it...is that ok? A marketing mans wet dream of limited editions in pink dayglo vinyl with huge markups. The ebay flippers get in on it and I find it all very distasteful

Look for the music you look for but I just dont get off on all this rare record marketing bullshit. If I have the music I dont really care if you have limited edition artwork and a super duper design on your vinyl.

I have bought some Joy Division 12" singles and first pressing albums but I didnt pay much and I didnt need to be reminded to pick up a copy on RS Day. Ive bought a record in all its available colours to make an art piece wall display. It was just a bit of fun and I dont think the records are rare or will increase in value

Each to their own but I cant think of anything where I need to pay inflated prices for a special edition picture disc. I dont need a marketing day to remind me to buy music.

I let the music do the talking and not the collectors B/S
    That's pretty much why I have never really been interested before. It has always come across as a bit gimmicky, but this year there does seem to be a genuinely unreleased, fairly obscure BBC Radiophonic workshop soundtrack. I doubt I'll actually venture into Cardiff to queue for one though, I'll wait and see what's available after all the fuss has passed.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    It is a great soundtrack, let me know if you ever want to find a new home for it ��

I wonder if there are many soundtrack collectors on AoS?
    I can't remember the Get Carter music isn't that bad? I take it it's not by John Barry or I probably would know it?

Two soundtracks I want to get hold of are Aguirre Wrath of God and Nosferatu by Popol Vuh I love those films and the music is so atmospheric.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I can't remember the Get Carter music isn't that bad? I take it it's not by John Barry or I probably would know it?

Two soundtracks I want to get hold of are Aguirre Wrath of God and Nosferatu by Popol Vuh I love those films and the music is so atmospheric.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    It's by Roy Budd, it's a very good soundtrack.

I've never had a listen to either of those, I shall have to look them up.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    That's pretty much why I have never really been interested before. It has always come across as a bit gimmicky, but this year there does seem to be a genuinely unreleased, fairly obscure BBC Radiophonic workshop soundtrack. I doubt I'll actually venture into Cardiff to queue for one though, I'll wait and see what's available after all the fuss has passed.
    Yes I get that there will be some good stuff on the list and its a way of focusing your attention. I dont know...Im just not comfortable with record store day and I dont go rushing to the shops for anything now

Maybe I rant about it too much but why cant they market that on a normal day and if you were interested enough it would have come to your attention. Im just wary about any limited edition, get it on the day style marketing.

I buy video games and some trading cards but I dont need a video games or cards day. Things come to my attention when I have a general search.

Maybe I am just a miserable old sod and if people get pleasure from finding a nicely packaged record on the day, its their money
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 06-03-2019 at 14:38.

I'm Neil.

A few things on the RSD list I would like, but I won't pay crazy prices for them.
    Regards Neil

I'm Deleted.

I see it seems to be a popular feeling, on this thread at least, that Record Store Day is not a good idea; I’m afraid I must disagree and I like and enjoy it.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I see it seems to be a popular feeling, on this thread at least, that Record Store Day is not a good idea; I’m afraid I must disagree and I like and enjoy it.
    Yeah I would like you to expand on that though Its a strange one the vinyl market now. They are trying to keep the revival going and methinks its not selling as much as they let on.

Im not having a go. Is there something coming out on record store day that enhances your relationship with a particular artist? Do you like supporting your local stores which is admirable but couldnt that be done on any other day of the year?

Do you like the idea of a limited edition run which has probably already been shuffled off to his ebay mates before it goes out in the store...the supply chain is getting the first pick of anything desirable..surely. Are people really going early in the hope one copy is left on the shelves?

Yes its a cash boost for the store but it all just looks a bit greedy does it not? Im well aware how the "only on RSD" marketing works or am I just being too cynical?

Maybe I have lost all my Joie de vivre and just like to sit on the couch with a coffee having a quick look at vinyl online
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 08-03-2019 at 09:37.

I'm Grant.

As a Collector, Ltd Ed's are always interesting to have,although for them to become valuable they have to be by someone who's music is desirable and rare. More interest is in having a nicely presented package.
    As for RSD, its not something i particularly look at. I buy when and if i see something i fancy, and can afford it. If it has a chance of becoming valuable later, that is just a bonus afaic.
    I have lots of rarities, new and old, but most, if not all, were not bought with that intention. My record collection is much smaller now, although still a decent size(maybe 360 items), but its quality, to me is fairly good, and has a broad spectum.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

RSD are really strict about the rules. A mate of mine who owns the local record shop said one year the first ten people in the queue on RSD with one of his own store's carrier bags would get in first. The RSD people got wind and gave him a right bollocking. It is strictly first come first serve and one copy per customer. The most in demand stuff is harder to get and the bigger stores get more of it, but generally people can get something they want. Piccadilly Records get pretty much everything on the list, so do Rough Trade.

Like I said earlier in the thread there has never been anything on RSD that I have really wanted, it's more just the buzz of it. The queue can be quite fun and my local shop is ten minutes walk away.

I once queued in the freezing cold outside Piccadilly for four hours though, never doing that again.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I find myself agreeing with different shades of opinion here

Each year I look at the list with interest, but not being a fan of coloured vinyl reissues it generally boils down to there being little if anything that I'd truly want. I patronise record shops all year round so they don't need me (along with all the eBay profiteers) to cross their threshold on one particular day.

Yet at the same time I think fair play to them for having an idea that successfully raises the profile of records. Having lived through the darkness of the early noughties when you couldn't buy releases on vinyl and all the iconic shops were going out of business, it felt that a way of life that I'd loved since I was a kid was disappearing. Sure, there are many other factors at play in the so-called vinyl revival, but in so far as RSD is a contributor in some small way to the longevity of the record then that can't be bad.

So ultimately I wish them well and leave them to it.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123