+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amplifiers for single driver speakers

I'm Steve.

Default Amplifiers for single driver speakers

Hi,
    I'm a newbie here and have just finished building my first DIY speakers - a large bass reflex cabinet with 10" Audirvana drivers (their Super 10 Ferrite's $350).
    I have zero experience with a soldering iron so single drivers seemed the way to go.
    I am so pleased and genuinely surprised at the sound quality so have been trying a couple of different amplifiers with them.
    So far a Decware Taboo and a Clones Audio 25irh. Both are sounding good but wondered whether anyone had any other suggestions.
    They are extremely efficient at about 99dB so don't need many watts. they go 34Hz to nearly 20kHz. My room is only 8' x 16' and I don't listen loud. Classical with a bit of jazz. Budget up to about £750.
    Any thoughts gratefully received.

Steve

I'm Lawrence.

Not sure what their topology is but single ended triode seems the obvious match.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Puresound A10 or A30, you can find the A30 second hand for around £750
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Steve.

When you get your hands on that Amptastic Mini 1, you'll probably be able to search for another amp at your leisure, and hang on for a good deal. In fact the Amptastic may be all you need, it's that good. I have used mine with my Zu speakers (also about 100dB) and they go to decent levels.

But £750 would buy a decent s/h valve amp, output not important really with your speakers.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm inthescottishmafia.

An ideal match for your speakers would be one of these-

https://www.transcendentsound.com/mini-beast.html

Bit more than your budget but we’ll worth saving up for. You won’t have heard anything like it. I have one and it does better bass than most of the SS amps I’ve tried. Cavernous sound staging and really sweet treble. Trust me, this will better any SE or PP amp at your budget.

Caveat is of course is it’s a kit, so you’d need to find someone to build it for you, or I believe they offer a build service.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Steve.

Thanks for all the ideas. The mini-beast looks very interesting. Maybe I should learn to solder?

I'm Geoff.

What's wrong with the amps you've been trying?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by queensgardens View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas. The mini-beast looks very interesting. Maybe I should learn to solder?
    Well, the instructions are very clear and there is plenty help available from Bruce and his forum.

Try doing some research on his OTL’s, there is much love around for them.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Steve.

I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with them. It's more a matter of having some fun trying out some options to see if any of them really click with the new speakers.

montesquieu Guest

Are you sure these are meant to be run full-range? Most people are using them as woofers so far as I can see.

I can't see specs for them but I would expect most 10in drivers capable of moving air would need a bit of damping factor to keep them under control hence general unsuitability of low power SET. This is regardless of efficiency specs. Don't be fooled into thinking that you have lots of treble, the very top note of the piano is only 4 khz, everything above that is about harmonics, which are critical in providing realistic sound.

Id go for a nice EL84 push pull, 12w or so (lots of options from Leak to Leben). I'd also think of adding a lower-than-normal stretching supertweeter to care of harmonics from 4khz upwards. No driver satisfactorily does the range you quote without distortion at one end or the other.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast