+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BritBox

I'm Neil.

Default BritBox

So a service that has been trading in USA for awhile will now be available in the UK, with a tweaked service for our market. This on the face of it isn't a big deal except its the BBC and ITV and it will be a paid service, Netflix pricing at a guess as its aimed at NetFlix customers.

First thoughts are that Netflix will probably loose BBC content, I wasn't aware there was any, but seems there is. Second thought is BBC and ITV content which is available on iPlayer and ITV Hub will maybe be there so, doubling up on the service that TV Licence payers have paid for and through that licence fee have access to already. So BritBox will require payment for content licence payers have paid for already.

Now if BritBox is available as a stand alone service that anyone can pay for that does not have a licence, because they are not watching live TV, that could be an interesting proposition, but I suspect BritBox will require subscribers to have a licence, otherwise people may flock to BritBox to avoid the TV Licence fee.

Now avoiding the TV licence to get BBC/ITV content legally via BritBox will rob the BBC of a lot of revenue. Bit of an own goal in the making I think.
    Regards Neil

I'm Ian.

This has just been on the BBC news. Apparently the cost will be £5. Also it will have content that has dropped off iPlayer or ITV hub - the content there is time limited now. I suppose the argument about already paid through licence fee is valid but then if you want to see older stuff you probably have to go to one of the paid for streaming services anyway.

I'm malcolm.

I expect they'll move the box sets from iPlayer over to the new platform
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    I expect they'll move the box sets from iPlayer over to the new platform
    Nods.

Time will tell.
    Regards Neil

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    So a service that has been trading in USA for awhile will now be available in the UK, with a tweaked service for our market. This on the face of it isn't a big deal except its the BBC and ITV and it will be a paid service, Netflix pricing at a guess as its aimed at NetFlix customers.

First thoughts are that Netflix will probably loose BBC content, I wasn't aware there was any, but seems there is. Second thought is BBC and ITV content which is available on iPlayer and ITV Hub will maybe be there so, doubling up on the service that TV Licence payers have paid for and through that licence fee have access to already. So BritBox will require payment for content licence payers have paid for already.

Now if BritBox is available as a stand alone service that anyone can pay for that does not have a licence, because they are not watching live TV, that could be an interesting proposition, but I suspect BritBox will require subscribers to have a licence, otherwise people may flock to BritBox to avoid the TV Licence fee.

Now avoiding the TV licence to get BBC/ITV content legally via BritBox will rob the BBC of a lot of revenue. Bit of an own goal in the making I think.
    I was wondering about that myself. You can't legally use BBC iPlayer without a licence, even if you are not watching live content. So to need a licence and to then have to pay a subscription fee for the new service, really does seem like charging people twice for the same output.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    I was wondering about that myself. You can't legally use BBC iPlayer without a licence, even if you are not watching live content. So to need a licence and to then have to pay a subscription fee for the new service, really does seem like charging people twice for the same output.
    I might be wrong but at one time I think you could not use BBC iPlayer when abroad due to licensing issues. I believe this no longer applies to BBC Radio stations as loads listen from abroad, but not sure about TV. Maybe it's a move to make BBC and ITV programmes more available across the world.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I might be wrong but at one time I think you could not use BBC iPlayer when abroad due to licensing issues. I believe this no longer applies to BBC Radio stations as loads listen from abroad, but not sure about TV. Maybe it's a move to make BBC and ITV programmes more available across the world.
    Can't watch iPlayer in USA
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    Can't watch iPlayer in USA
    Looks like you may be right Adrian - while I have no interest in "Bargain Hunt" box sets, the Americans probably love that sort of thing.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Looks like you may be right Adrian - while I have no interest in "Bargain Hunt" box sets, the Americans probably love that sort of thing.
    anything to make a buck nowadays on the WorldWideWEB of intrigue
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm malcolm.

Very little I watch on BBC nowadays yet I still have to have a licence! What winds me up more though is the BBC Radio Sounds app etc, I used to be able to catch up on radio shows using iplayer on TV or via LMS Squeezebox but now it's either my phone or laptop, neither of which are connected to HiFi.
    Audiophile Tosher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast