+ Reply to Thread

Thread: yamaha turntable help with static electricity

I'm arsenico.

Default yamaha turntable help with static electricity

so it has been a while since this tt came home
    i have tried a lo of things but still skips the needle now and then,

turntable has been serviced, rubbers cleaned and reassembled, regreased and fine tuned
    headshell is an orsonic and cartridge an ATVM95SH so it is a shibata point

when i start i always put the vynil in place
    clean dust with an antistatic brush
    put the clamp it weight and play

almost the whole side goes well until the last song is reached and then the needle starts skipping, tone arm is stuck, and needle is unable to start the movement of the tonearm

curious, when i remove the vynil to place side B there are a lot really a lot of static electricity

my concern is that static elect is making the problem happen

did you have any similar experience ?
    how would you solve this ?

platter is ALU
    matt is rubber
    thank you

I'm Deleted.

What I can guarantee is that static is not responsible for the stylus skipping problem. However, there are a number of potential reasons this problem occurs and all are related to the tonearm. 1/ there is a problem with the bias/anti-skate, 2/ there is a problem with the arm bearings, 3/ the arm cable that runs inside the arm is catching as it passes through the bearing of the arm, 4/ the bottom of the arm is catching on the support of the lift/lower device as it is not horizontal.

The most common cause of static build up on records is caused by records being cleaned, or wiped, whilst rotating on the platter of the deck.
    Account Deleted

I'm openingabottleofwine.

When cleaning an LP with an anti-static brush, it is a good idea to hold the brush in one hand and touch the metalwork of the deck with another whilst wiping the disc, otherwise you can end up charging the disc, thinking you are discharging it.

But the presence of static does not explain why the arm/cartridge is jumping/skipping near the end of the record side. That is most likely due to the arm wiring having become tangled whilst the deck was being serviced.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    What I can guarantee is that static is not responsible for the stylus skipping problem. However, there are a number of potential reasons this problem occurs and all are related to the tonearm. 1/ there is a problem with the bias/anti-skate, 2/ there is a problem with the arm bearings, 3/ the arm cable that runs inside the arm is catching as it passes through the bearing of the arm, 4/ the bottom of the arm is catching on the support of the lift/lower device as it is not horizontal.

The most common cause of static build up on records is caused by records being cleaned, or wiped, whilst rotating on the platter of the deck.
    I agree with Mark.

Also worth re-checking basic setup, tracking downforce (opt to higher values), cartridge alignment, VTA and azimuth.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm arsenico.

thank you for your answers @walpurgis @barry @YNWaN

i missed to explain this is a PX3 a linear tracking turntable, so in my opinion, and under my observation the needle is doing the tracking by pulling trasversally the arm and this pulling the whole carrier

you can not set azimut in this turntable

the turntable material is bulk heavy plastic compound, belts are new or refreshed, and moving parts lubricated

another explanation to be completed is that, i clean the record, several ways have been tested, out from the turnplate, in the turnplate, and so on

my surprise is that if i put a record on the platter, and played it, when i try to remove to play the side B, there is a strong force to keep it stick to the platter, that static electricity has build up during playing time and was not there before, and did not dissipate (my guess is that it should be dissipated somehow by the turntable, am I worng ?

ok as to skipping and so on, this effect is not happening only at the end of the record, what i explained is that the first time the record is played there is no skipping, until you reach the last song, if now you start the record in the same side you will have skipping in the first songs too

any ideas will be highly appreciated

regards

I'm Adam.

It is most likely to still be an issue with the arm carriage/belts/sensor mechanism, I’m afraid.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Deleted.

Yes, I absolutely agree.
    Account Deleted

I'm arsenico.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    It is most likely to still be an issue with the arm carriage/belts/sensor mechanism, I’m afraid.

Dear Adam,

thank you very much for your response
    i appreciate your opinion, but i might disagree (please i am no expert, only trying to be rational)

turntable plays record flawlessly during 20 minutes, so arm carriage/belts/sensor mechanism seem to do their work pretty well

at the beginning there is no static electricity
    towards the end of side A it happens the skipping
    when i remove side A from platter there is a lot of static electr.

any advise to reduce static electricity build up ?
    any way additional ground of turntable, use a felt matt ,....others ?

regards

I'm Adam.

One simple trick is to leave a small bowl of water near the turntable (but not somewhere where it can be clouted and spill into your amplifier, obviously!).

As it evaporates it will create local humidity which will reduce the static.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm arsenico.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    One simple trick is to leave a small bowl of water near the turntable (but not somewhere where it can be clouted and spill into your amplifier, obviously!).

As it evaporates it will create local humidity which will reduce the static.
    basque country is humid enough, but i will try that one too
    regards

+ Reply to Thread