+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just slapped this onto my TT

I'm Mike.

Default Just slapped this onto my TT

So, I bought this a few weeks ago just to see what all the fuss was about. If read bits and pieces about it on various threads, pages and turntable sites, I was warned that the stylus might need replacing or retipping, but thought I'd buy it anyway, then just buy a replacement stylus when it arrived. Little did I know how hard it is to buy a NOS stylus for it.

So tonight after work, I was about to refit my Mission 774 arm to the techie when I remembered about the old cartridge I'd bought a few weeks back. I thought might as well try that before faffing about swapping arms on the TT.

I have just fitted it to my Orsonic headshell, didn't even use the Smartractor to set it up, just screwed it into the headshell roughly where I thought it should sit, checked the balance, set the tracking to 1.0g and dropped the needle onto the LP, Holy Moly what the heck is this thing, right away I was amazed by the bass, the slam, how tight it was, vocals sounded smooth and forward in the mix, the treble also seems to be spot on, clear, sharp, no rough edge, Stevie Ray Vaughans Tin Pan Alley is one of my go to tracks for testing cartridges Tony and Brian ( Scottish Mafia ) have heard my TT setup and were well impressed using a Zyx R100, I sold that then went to a Kontrapunkt B which they haven't heard, I think the KB betters the Zyx, but this old scrapper is their equal, in my system anyway, it seems to be exactly what I've been looking for in a cartridge for the last 3-4 years. I even heard Stevie say something in the track that I hadn't heard before!

I think Geoff will be along to sing its praises too so I'm sure he's a fan of them.

For me, it's the best buy I've made of any HiFi kit since joining AoS, PFM etc and I've spent £1000's

Just need to find a spare stylus for it now as it's going nowhere.

Gobsmacked is an understatement and I'm not just saying that because it cost next to nothing, I would be saying it even it it cost a few hundred
    Last edited by mikeyb; 25-02-2019 at 20:33.

I'm James.

Nice cartridge the ADC XLM. Had the mk2 improved for a while and really enjoyed it.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm jamie.

i had a couple of adc's and liked them a lot,they had a certain something.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

Seems to really gel with the Fidelity arm and Techie TT. I won't be bothering to try my Mission arm tonight

I'm jamie.

i should have said i tried the ones geoff sold me on my (at the time) 774!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Alan.

Brilliant Mikey, really glad you are finding it hits the spot

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    i should have said i tried the ones geoff sold me on my (at the time) 774!
    At the moment the Fidelity arm sounds good with it so I'll not fit the 774 as it's going to be a faff to swap over so I'll leave it for just now

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Brilliant Mikey, really glad you are finding it hits the spot
    Sounds really good, ok I'm sure if I could be bothered to do a direct comparison I could no doubt pick fault with it, but I'm actually preferring the sound from it compared to the Zyx AND the KB.

It might be that synergy thing

I'm Steve.

Hi Mike
    I had the ZLM, it was superb.
    Great carts.
    Really glad your loving yours.

Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Mike.

Well, I've been listening for the last 2 hours and my initial thoughts haven't changed, really liking it a lot, tried classic rock, electronic, prog rock, 70''s pop, didn't let me down with any of them.

I've been fiddling with the vinyl setup over the weekend as I still wasn't 100% happy with it, and trust me I've been fiddling with it off and on for months, no, years.

Now....

I think I've arrived

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast