+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: marantz HD dac1 or Teac UD 501

I'm Phil.

so i tried this ud-ho1 dac with my sacd player using a coaxial . i can`t really hear any difference at all . maybe the dac in the onkyo is a reasonably good one

however using this with a toslink cable from my sonos zoneplayer amp into the teac was a very big leap in performance . very enjoyable and a very worthwhile upgrade
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs /, /rotel cd/ bel canto fm1
    sonos, . tannoy eaton legacy 2]arcam a75 marantz sa8005 jolida modwright dac and RFC impulse ta`us , track audio stands

I'm Brian.

Thanks Phil . I will be getting mine sometime this week and will post my findings here
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server .
    DAC 3 French DAC
    Amplifier : Rega Brio R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Chord Epic Twin

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Thanks Phil . I will be getting mine sometime this week and will post my findings here
    Any news Brian?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Phil.

Quick question re the marantz . the little input at the back , can you run a smartphone headphone cable into it ? would it uplift the sound much ? anyone use a dac on their smartphone into an amp ? its only for a second system so nothing too exotic
    sonos, . tannoy eaton legacy 2]arcam a75 marantz sa8005 jolida modwright dac and RFC impulse ta`us , track audio stands

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Any news Brian?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Sorry Lawrence , I missed this post . In my system I found the Teac UD H01 very detailed , however , it was also a bit bright and forward . Not for me I'm afraid and I quickly sold it on .
    Regards
    Brian

DAC 3 French DAC

I'm Phil.

Strange how things vary, sitting listening to it with my tannoys and the system sounds very real and natural . Not a speck of brightness but I guess it varies in different systems

I'm Brian.

Yup , too right Phil
    Regards
    Brian

DAC 3 French DAC

I'm Steve.

It may be a little out of date as it is a few years ago but I like you was looking for a do all DAC and ended up with an Audiolab Q DAC which was reduced to 150 at Richer Sounds.

I think it is a great piece of kit and punches well above its weight. The adjustable filters are good too. I tend to prefer one for high res and one for CD.

I use it with fixed output. I tried using the volume control but it was mediocre although the comparison was with a pre that now costs over 3k new so a bit unfair.

It is connected to my main rig and I use it with a Fiio X3 through coax and my Samsung phone through the USB. It doesn't disgrace itself against a Naim CD5x.

Worth a thought if you see it or the higher spec M DAC.

Out of the ones you mention the TEAC had the better reviews from memory.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12" and Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Phil.

Thanks , when ones current financial matters stabilise i will get a marantz dac to compare and probably one of the naim dac v1

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Sorry Lawrence , I missed this post . In my system I found the Teac UD H01 very detailed , however , it was also a bit bright and forward . Not for me I'm afraid and I quickly sold it on .
    How odd if anything it was a little too smooth and relaxed for me, quite the opposite to your experience. I replaced it with a Raindrop Hui which is still in the system and can't see it going anywhere for a while.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123