+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spendor BC1

I'm Paul.

Default Spendor BC1

Picked a pair up at the weekend,havent had them fired up yet,any opinions/hints? How will they compare to my Kef 104/2 or Castle Harlechs??
    Paul.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    Picked a pair up at the weekend,havent had them fired up yet,any opinions/hints? How will they compare to my Kef 104/2 or Castle Harlechs??
    Only you can answer that - use your ears!
    Barry

I'm Paul.

Yes,Must get them wired in,just had the cabinets fed and polished as they were looking a bit tired,so now for the real test,how do they sound....
    Paul.

I'm Simon.

Which version are they, clear mid bass or black midbass, alnico or ferrite magnets?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Paul.

Black mids-not sure about magnets,havent had back off yet
    Paul.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry
    Only you can answer that - use your ears!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    Yes,Must get them wired in,just had the cabinets fed and polished as they were looking a bit tired,so now for the real test,how do they sound....
    I tend to keep mine wired in all the time, just helps in general, having conversations and things without having to stop the procedings until they're back in place and wired in.

There is when my TC-7220 amp/speaker switch comes in handy.

I'm Paul.

Well....
    Love them! Not as sensitive as the Kef's im guessing due to difference in volume,but sound fantastic
    Paul.

I'm Anthony.

Good that you're enjoying them! I enjoyed my BC1s for a couple of years and recall that they really excelled on vocals and acoustic music.

BTW when I got mine about 10 years ago as my first "vintage" loudspeaker, I sent Spendor an e-mail quoting their serial numbers. In return, Spendor responded with their production dates and sent me a pair of speaker badges for free! Not sure whether Spendor still offer the same service nowadays, but it was a really nice gesture on their part.

BTW although my BC1s are currently in storage, although I still have a pair of the original Spendor SA1 in my daughter's bedroom being driven by her mini hi-fi

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Get 'em well off the floor and away from rear walls. The port could be usefully tuned too with a trimmed Maplin port tube as per the Yahoo Spendor group posts and since the surrounds are black in colour, I'd say straight off that you have ceramic magnets, which are more stable over forty years of use and storage in these speakers. I finally re-wired the internals in my BC2's with Maplin 50st instrument cable and I'm sure the sound was slightly better. The crossover caps were good stable ones to start with and selected for exact values and matching to the drivers, so I'd avoid thoughts of making them "better" as you'd probably make 'em worse.

BC1's are fetching insane money now and what was a good bargain at £150 to £250 the pair, is now a collectors 9wet) dream at the £500 or so they seem to fetch these days - it's not as if you can get them serviced in the bass unit department either...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast