As some of you know I've had a Planar 3 for a few years now, I bought it off ebay for the princely sum of £20 (where have those days gone) and since then I've been on a path of steady upgrades.

[IMG][/IMG]

1st of all I changed the original arm as the anti skate was broken and I got the RB202, as I hadn't used the original arm I can't say if there were any sonic improvements, I was just happy it worked correctly.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then I swapped the original plastic sub platter for a new metal one and replaced the pulley for a twin belt model. This mod didn't have much if any of a sonic upgrade, but did make the speed more accurate and stable.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next was to swap the glass platter for a thicker clear acrylic platter, which had a slight improvement on the overall sound making it become more focused.
[IMG][/IMG]

After the platter came the SRM Tech silent base, this has had the biggest effect on the deck so far, lowering the sound floor and completely removing motor noise.
[IMG][/IMG]

There is a problem with the silent base, because the motor is still connected to the plinth setting it up is very awkward and its easy to break wires, so I've decided to completely decouple the motor and wiring from the plinth and install a plug and socket to connect the motor to the on off switch on the plinth, in addition to this I'm swapping the original plinth for a thicker birch ply plinth with rosewood veneer.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

As you can see the last 2 changes aren't complete yet, as I'm getting my new Audiomods Series 5 arm on Monday and Cornish Pasty has kindly offered to help me with installing the electrics and arm set up, I can't wait........