+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures with Rega

I'm Mike.

Default Adventures with Rega

As some of you know I've had a Planar 3 for a few years now, I bought it off ebay for the princely sum of £20 (where have those days gone) and since then I've been on a path of steady upgrades.

[IMG][/IMG]

1st of all I changed the original arm as the anti skate was broken and I got the RB202, as I hadn't used the original arm I can't say if there were any sonic improvements, I was just happy it worked correctly.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then I swapped the original plastic sub platter for a new metal one and replaced the pulley for a twin belt model. This mod didn't have much if any of a sonic upgrade, but did make the speed more accurate and stable.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next was to swap the glass platter for a thicker clear acrylic platter, which had a slight improvement on the overall sound making it become more focused.
    [IMG][/IMG]

After the platter came the SRM Tech silent base, this has had the biggest effect on the deck so far, lowering the sound floor and completely removing motor noise.
    [IMG][/IMG]

There is a problem with the silent base, because the motor is still connected to the plinth setting it up is very awkward and its easy to break wires, so I've decided to completely decouple the motor and wiring from the plinth and install a plug and socket to connect the motor to the on off switch on the plinth, in addition to this I'm swapping the original plinth for a thicker birch ply plinth with rosewood veneer.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

As you can see the last 2 changes aren't complete yet, as I'm getting my new Audiomods Series 5 arm on Monday and Cornish Pasty has kindly offered to help me with installing the electrics and arm set up, I can't wait........

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm John.

Nice pics Mike, love the rosewood.

I'm Mike.

Me too, probably the only thing I don't like about Regas is the bit of old kitchen worktop used for their plinths, although some say it's what gives the deck its sound.

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Me too, probably the only thing I don't like about Regas is the bit of old kitchen worktop used for their plinths, although some say it's what gives the deck its sound.
    Had a modern version of the P3 for a while and really liked it.

Recently had the chance to listen to a RP8 with the new mc cartridge and felt it was a good improvement but too expensive for me. They are taking the minimalist approach to the limit with both items and in my view it really works.

I feel moving an unsprung deck to a higher mass is the wrong direction if you want to avoid vibration impact.

Hope you like the Audiomods arm - I really like mine.

Mel

I'm Rich.

I can't see the pics, no idea why though.

I do like Rega kit, so I'll have to figure it out.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    I feel moving an unsprung deck to a higher mass is the wrong direction if you want to avoid vibration impact.

Hope you like the Audiomods arm - I really like mine.

Mel
    Thing is Mel the silent base has isolated the plinth so it doesn't pick up the external noise, granted I've not heard it with the new plinth so if I don't like the sound I can easily swap back.

I can't wait to get the arm, get it finished and get it fired up

I'm Mike.

So I've got it finished, not to give it a listen and see if it was all worthwhile.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm Grant.

Looks great. Nice grsin on that.
    Arm looks to be well engineered
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Thanks Grant, straight away i can tell the arm has made a difference, but it's been tricky to get the motor in just the right place so that the belts run smoothly, however the arm was an absolute doddle to set up and align.

Over the course of the next few days i'll be listening to some old favourites so that i can fully appreciate what the upgrades have done to the sound.

I'm Timothy.

Nice looking deck and arm! Enjoy!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast