+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I’m done with moving coil cartridge hassle

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    "Don’t get me wrong I have been (and still am) delighted with the DL-S1 and my Goldbug Brier and my Paradox Pulse DL-103R but TBH moving coils are just too much hassle. I’ve spent days and dollars getting various SUT’s and Headamps to match /partner these and other MC’s endlessly tweaking loading and gain to get the right setup and never really knowing if that sweet spot is the best it can be."

Just wanted to touch a bit on this part:

I've spent a shed load of time, cash and effort trying to capture the illusive match between a MC cart and a SUT or HA.

I just couldn't do it. Not without spending around £1k on a SUT. I have heard good combinations like the Kontrapunkt B and the Ortofon 80se. They work very well.

For me, there's a better way and that's using a phonostage DESIGNED for the use of MC. Thats what I decided to chase. In the end, we designed our own phonostage and it's worked out really well. I know that's not possible for everyone but there are phonostages out there that may change your opinion on your carts. We used a Jfet to do the gain work. There are others who do this too and with great results.

Good luck with the Super Gold. I've had three Deccas here, a super gold, a good and a blue, but never really took to them as a permanent solution.

Again, Can only agree.

In my case and very simplistically, using the mc phonostage built into the excellent Intergrated amps I've used has seen no faff and brought me no issues with the mc's I've used and that's because they've been designed to do the job.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Again, Can only agree.

In my case and very simplistically, using the mc phonostage built into the excellent Intergrated amps I've used has seen no faff and brought me no issues with the mc's I've used and that's because they've been designed to do the job.
    A lot of those integrated phonostages are far better than given credit. The one in Angus's AU-DII (I think that's right) is capable of speed and immediacy I've not heard from anything else.

They knew their stuff!!!

I'm Stephen.

In the same vein I suspect that Glenn’s affinity for Deccas likely means his MM phono stages are “Decca friendly” so the Super Gold and my Croft 25RS are a good match.

I know from personal experience that Deccas can be a PITA in some systems and not to everyone’s liking but when they work they can be magical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Exactly my take. I was spending far too much time angsting than listening

I agree. I now use two vintage integrated amps that have quality MC sections. I would just as happily use MM and have done with equally enjoyable results; I am just attached to by Art-1 and haven't heard better.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Angus.

Sansui AU-D11 II

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    A lot of those integrated phonostages are far better than given credit. The one in Angus's AU-DII (I think that's right) is capable of speed and immediacy I've not heard from anything else.

They knew their stuff!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by phonomac View Post
    Sansui AU-D11 II
    That's the one!

I'm John.

Also using a Decca (“podded” Blue with a paratrace tip) into a 25rs. Magical stuff. Works brilliantly with Nottingham Analogue arms. Superb with an Ace Space, jaw dropping with an Anna.

I'm Patrick.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Deccas too. Currently using an SC4E on a Mission 774, but I have other Deccas ...

I always wanted to get that 'live' sound that you get when you go to a gig, and the Decca gets me closest to that.

I am still chasing the prefect arm for the Decca (to go with my grease 301 that I will one-day finish), but the 774 does OK.

I'm Greg.

I’ve not heard a Decca, they sound interesting, but I do remember Hi-Fi Critic measuring 3rd harmonic distortion of 9% on a Decca cart they tested. They suggested this could be the reason for their distinctive character.

Glad the OP is enjoying his, I’d love to hear one some day.
    Analogue: Thorens TD 124/II - SME M2-9R - Ortofon SPU Wood A - Sculpture A Mini Nano
    Digital: Roon Nucleus - Limetree Network
    Amplifier: Naim NAIT 50
    Speakers: TBC

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of Deccas too. Currently using an SC4E on a Mission 774, but I have other Deccas ...

I always wanted to get that 'live' sound that you get when you go to a gig, and the Decca gets me closest to that.

I am still chasing the prefect arm for the Decca (to go with my grease 301 that I will one-day finish), but the 774 does OK.
    I believe you can damp the 774 arm effectively which is a must for the Decca which pushes out a lot of raw energy!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast