+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I’m done with moving coil cartridge hassle

I'm Stephen.

Default I’m done with moving coil cartridge hassle

Having been through the range of cartridges various from my first Goldring G800 up to my current Denon DL-S1 and a load of others in between from today I’m “junking”the lot and sticking with my “new” Decca Super Gold.

Don’t get me wrong I have been (and still am) delighted with the DL-S1 and my Goldbug Brier and my Paradox Pulse DL-103R but TBH moving coils are just too much hassle. I’ve spent days and dollars getting various SUT’s and Headamps to match /partner these and other MC’s endlessly tweaking loading and gain to get the right setup and never really knowing if that sweet spot is the best it can be.

I had a Decca Blue many years ago and loved it but could never solve a residual hum issue.

I’ve toyed with the idea of an Ortofon 2M black but the Ortofons I’ve had in the past disappointed (not very scientific I know) so as per a previous post I’d decided to get another Decca. This time a Super Gold checked and fettled by John Wright.

As seen in the photo it’s in my Yamamoto HS-4 sans additional weight as I wanted to see how it sounded with the standard plastic mount. Sitting so low it’s tricky to see the stylus to setup the null points but not impossible. Having setup to Baerwald with 1.8g VTF tracking is exemplary on the HFN test disc.

There is no hum and surface noise is no worse than my DL-103 although a bit more noticeable than the DL-S1.

The main thing is it sounds sublime. It’s like the best of the S1 and 103R but with more detail (yes, I’m hearing low level background instruments that even the S1 didn’t reveal). Even without the additional headshell weight bass is full and well defined and the midrange is wonderfully clear. The piano on Einaudi’s I Giorni is as close to live as I’ve ever heard.

And the great thing is no tweaking with gain and loading or swapping SUT’s and headamps.

While I’m not ready to sell my MC’s and supporting infrastructure just yet they are currently consigned to the storage shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

Bigman80 Guest

Whatever makes you happy!

That's the only right move.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I think you have to try a Decca, not an easy cartridge to get right, I've heard them sounding hard and brittle on a Linn/ittok.
    but fantastic on a source/odyssey.
    Hope you enjoy it.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Whatever makes you happy!

That's the only right move.
    Can only agree.

Different approaches get the result people want.

Glad you're not thinking of throwing in th mc's you've got.

My approach has always been to keep things very simple and thats always worked for me with all the carts I've had, Ortofons 2M Black mm and mc's - Quintet Black, Cadenza Black and Cadenza Black Fritz Gyger S retip upgrade.

All have sung with attention to se-tup being the key factor over anything else.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Bigman80 Guest

"Don’t get me wrong I have been (and still am) delighted with the DL-S1 and my Goldbug Brier and my Paradox Pulse DL-103R but TBH moving coils are just too much hassle. I’ve spent days and dollars getting various SUT’s and Headamps to match /partner these and other MC’s endlessly tweaking loading and gain to get the right setup and never really knowing if that sweet spot is the best it can be."

Just wanted to touch a bit on this part:

I've spent a shed load of time, cash and effort trying to capture the illusive match between a MC cart and a SUT or HA.

I just couldn't do it. Not without spending around £1k on a SUT. I have heard good combinations like the Kontrapunkt B and the Ortofon 80se. They work very well.

For me, there's a better way and that's using a phonostage DESIGNED for the use of MC. Thats what I decided to chase. In the end, we designed our own phonostage and it's worked out really well. I know that's not possible for everyone but there are phonostages out there that may change your opinion on your carts. We used a Jfet to do the gain work. There are others who do this too and with great results.

Good luck with the Super Gold. I've had three Deccas here, a super gold, a good and a blue, but never really took to them as a permanent solution.
    Last edited by Bigman80; 23-02-2019 at 13:14.

I'm James.

There are others on here who also run the Decca in very high end systems and get exceptional results out of it after it has been optimised for set up.

I will return to a Decca, indeed I still own a Blue but that will be for another day.

If you want to try something exciting and exceptional which has many of the characteristics of a Decca without all the faff of an MC then you should try a 2M Black. First as standard and then maybe consider the route I have taken and have a wonderful FGS stylus fitted. The result is stunning and you would not even consider going back to an MC once heard.

Using the Croft amps delivers a seriously great sound with this combination.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Deccas are not perfect by any means, but they can still offer aspects of the musical performance that no other cartridge can match.

Everyone should listen to a Decca at some stage in their audio career (preferably a good sample and one that has been set up carefully), just to hear what the 'fuss' is about. If they are not for you than that is fair enough, at least you have tried the experience.

I always have a Decca set up on one of my decks to be offered that approach, whilst still enjoying MCs for their strengths. Having recently acquired an Ikeda cartridge: a moving coil design that has been influenced by Decca's 'direct scanning' philosophy in being a 'cantileverless' design, I'm enjoying the best of both worlds.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

It is about the music after all. If the system is beginning to reduce your enjoyment of the music, it is time for a rethink.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Deccas are not perfect by any means, but they can still offer aspects of the musical performance that no other cartridge can match.

Everyone should listen to a Decca at some stage in their audio career (preferably a good sample and one that has been set up carefully), just to hear what the 'fuss' is about. If they are not for you than that is fair enough, at least you have tried the experience.

I always have a Decca set up on one of my decks to be offered that approach, whilst still enjoying MCs for their strengths. Having recently acquired an Ikeda cartridge: a moving coil design that has been influenced by Decca's 'direct scanning' philosophy in being a 'cantileverless' design, I'm enjoying the best of both worlds.
    How good is the Ikeda?

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    It is about the music after all. If the system is beginning to reduce your enjoyment of the music, it is time for a rethink.
    Exactly my take. I was spending far too much time angsting than listening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast