+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2019

I'm Justin.

Default Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2019

Just realised 20 minutes ago it's on again.

Shame was otherwise going to go to Tom's and hear the Silvercores. But that's four hours in the car.

Will take some pics and talk some bullshit as usual.

I'm Brian.

Look forward to it mate . Bit far for me I'm afraid .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Peter.

Bristol was busy but good today. Highlights:

The new Acoustic Energy AE500 sounded so impressive and at £1000 is a bargain. One of the best speakers at the show, though a lot of speakers sound poor in the small rooms.

The Von Gaylord room for the second year running was amazing. So it should be with £30k of valve gear but sad they can’t seem to get UK distribution as the warmth and depth of the sound was impressive. If a little lacking in detail.

Audio Note sounded brilliant. A giant 8W integrated amp driving some sweet sounding speakers which were rammed up against the wall yet had the tightest bass. This and the Von Gaylord showed valves at their best.

The Falcon LS3/5A special edition (sold out) was a speaker I’d longed to hear. It was amazing with classical but struggled big time on Metallica.

ATCs new integrated amp and CD player were singing nicely.

Disappointing rooms:
    Spendor sounded woolly and wet.
    Naim was terrible especially given they had a decent sized room. I blame Focals. They never seem to sound good with Naim.
    Rega were playing the impressive 7 deck through their underwhelming mini floorstanders which didn’t help them.
    Fyne were trying to run large speakers in a room not made for large speakers. BOOM!

I'm joe.

I've been to the last few, but will give it a miss this year, for various reasons:

1) Still recovering from man-flu

2) Visitors this weekend

3) Tons of DIY to catch up on because of 1)

4) PhD viva is a week on Tuesday and I need to find time to prepare for that

5) I can't be arsed

I'm malcolm.

I visited yesterday, was pretty much underwhelmed by the majority of that I listened to.

Strange but I thought the Audionote room sounded dire this year, in past years it's usually been one of the best for me, and the vinyl sounded vastly poorer than their CD!

Yes the Falcon was good, I've heard a lot of LS3a and it was up there with the best of them, didn't hear any metallica though so can't comment on that.

Agree on the Spendor, very muddy.
    Yes Rega was disappointing but their speakers always are.
    And Fyne should, according to reviews, have sounded a lot better - could have been worse though - if they'd set up the F1-10.

The best room for me was Malvern Audio Research, and not just because I know Mark, the hORNS sounded just wonderful being supported by some interesting exotic gear.

Once again was getting tempted by the new SP10 - I must resist!

Interesting demo by Funkfirm 'proving' that their arm was better than SME, likening 'normal' arms to wind chimes

Every year I go I'm disappointed but...had a great trawl around Bristol's second hand record shops later in the day which made up for it.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Nari.

The Uk shows in general are very unsatisfactory, nothing off the wall and badly set up. I still like to visit as like the idea of showing a bit of support it would be sad if they were not there. Its not cheap to exhibit and the returns are small. I have gone of the Munich show its become overcrowded and too many exhibitors and mostly badly set up demonstrations. I have to say I went to the Warsaw show and really enjoyed it, and heard some well set up systems and lots of unusual bits. I find most of the Shows in Asia are rather interesting too.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Justin.

Munich was dead last year on the Sunday. So there's a tip. But you need more than a day unless you are really familiar with it. Even then you'll miss something.

Bristol is fairly low-fi but I just go cos I am close. Must have done nearly all of them going back decades.

Just setting myself up for show entry.

I'm Martin.

Beans in their own little pot. Classy! No need to use a sausage as a breakwater. But wtf happened to those eggs?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

Eggs were alright. Mushrooms were dodgy.

Test transmission.

I'm Justin.

They should make a LED lit plinth for that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast