+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which way should i go

I'm Gary.

Default which way should i go

I have been unwell for a while.

My Hifi is Arcam 23T Nad s300 Meadowlark Ospray speakers

I have been using my brothers cheap denon amp because the Nad has developed a fault again (last time it cost me £200 all in to get it fixed) for a year now and he wants it back.

I am thinking do i fix the amp again or do i have a complete overhaul? If i went down the overhaul it would take me a long time and it wouldn't bother me as i am a music lover and funds are a problem.

I know my gear is old and a bit out there so where to start?

Obviously i need a working amp and one that will last. I could go down the pre power amp eg Quad and a decent pre where would i start with the pre i need at least 2 analogue and 1 digital inputs. Then i would need to balance the system.

Funds, well i might be able to borrow some.

If you guys could help please.

I'm Martin.

Hi Gary

Hadn't heard of your speakers had to look them up and they are pretty serious! What sort of budget have you got? You might have to spend a few quid to really do them justice. On the other hand you could get a decent sound out of them for a few hundred, spent right. Also what sort of sound are you looking for? Rich and warm, detailed and exciting etc...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Hi Martin,
    I have had the Ospreys for 10 years i bought them from a guy who had had them upgraded by Tony from Coherent. They are transmission line speakers though are not as lively as the PMC FB1 i had before they have a USA sound. The NAD s300 managed to drive them but they always seemed that they might of needed more power.
    I am a music lover first rather than a hifi critic. I like to sit back and enjoy music for 2 hours at a time in the evening rather than watch the TV.

I like Rock, Folk, Blues Mainly 12 bar, Alternative, pop Female vocalists mainly, some jazz soul.
    My budget is in the higher £100's though i could borrow for the right system that would last for many years as this last has.

I don't want a sound that will give me listening fatigue in 1/2 hour; so i do like detail but not to sharp it cuts my head off, I'd probably say i like a more towards a neutral sound but please remember i haven't listened to many systems fo 9 years since i stopped going to bake offs and shows. I presume tastes change.

I do not mind 2nd hand
    Any ideas please

I'm Geoff.

I think your suggestion of Quad amplification is likely to be good here. An Artera or QSP power amp with a passive pre-amp should drive those speakers without any bother. The Quads are are good value too for the power and build quality on offer.

You could even consider a second hand 909, 707 or 606/II, they are very similar in design, power and sound quality.

The Quad sound is relaxed and clean with plenty of detail, bags of power too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

NAD S300 is 100 watts so I guess if you think that was not nearly enough you need to go bigger. You can never have too much power. QUAD are a safe bet and good value second hand so you might want to go with a QUAD 909 power amp and a passive like Geoff suggests. If you ever decide to move up from that you'll get your money back on it.

Of course there are a lot of other options out there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    NAD S300 is 100 watts so I guess if you think that was not nearly enough you need to go bigger. You can never have too much power. QUAD are a safe bet and good value second hand so you might want to go with a QUAD 909 power amp and a passive like Geoff suggests. If you ever decide to move up from that you'll get your money back on it.

Of course there are a lot of other options out there.
    Yes a great choice the Quad 909, its sensitivity suits passives including contact- less varieties

I'm Gary.

About the quad power amp, is the 606 II 140w per channel?
    Also what pre do you guys recommend ? It must have 3 inputs one for cd player one for there and one for digital connections tv streaming etc.

I'm Phil.

mmm those osprey look good , defo try another amp until you can afford something better . quad great suggestion and a nice qsp in classifieds at 520 [2 months old]

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/...er-amp.224984/

if you are ever in brum i might have an integrated or two you could borrow

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...larkosprey.htm
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    mmm those osprey look good , defo try another amp until you can afford something better . quad great suggestion and a nice qsp in classifieds at 520 [2 months old]

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/...er-amp.224984/

if you are ever in brum i might have an integrated or two you could borrow

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...larkosprey.htm
    Thanks Hifinutt for the offer, I live up in Cheshire Wirral area. I am going to get a Quad.
    I need a pre amp with all the pre amps out there have you any suggestions.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by zzag View Post
    Hi Martin,
    I have had the Ospreys for 10 years i bought them from a guy who had had them upgraded by Tony from Coherent. They are transmission line speakers though are not as lively as the PMC FB1 i had before they have a USA sound. The NAD s300 managed to drive them but they always seemed that they might of needed more power.
    I am a music lover first rather than a hifi critic. I like to sit back and enjoy music for 2 hours at a time in the evening rather than watch the TV.

I like Rock, Folk, Blues Mainly 12 bar, Alternative, pop Female vocalists mainly, some jazz soul.
    My budget is in the higher £100's though i could borrow for the right system that would last for many years as this last has.

I don't want a sound that will give me listening fatigue in 1/2 hour; so i do like detail but not to sharp it cuts my head off, I'd probably say i like a more towards a neutral sound but please remember i haven't listened to many systems fo 9 years since i stopped going to bake offs and shows. I presume tastes change.

I do not mind 2nd hand
    Any ideas please
    Hello Gary,

I saw your thread and and thought this might just be the just ticket for you. https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...hlight=Vincent I have it on loan from my best friend at the moment as I am in the throws of system changes, and he asked me to advertise it for him. I was talking with my friend yesterday and he would take a bit less. I have listened to it quite a bit and it is an extremely good amplifier IMO, very good overall sound, not tiring in any way. Vincent are an extremely good manufacturer known for producing amps that sound very musical. https://www.vincentshop.co.uk/SV-234

You could pay at least 3 or 4 times more to get something that sounds any better IMO.

PM me if your interested or just want to chat for some advice.

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast