+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: YouTube vs Spotify

I'm Gary.

Have both YouTube Music and Spotify Premium.
    Worth it for being ad free and access to squizillions of high quality music videos, docs all the usual stuff.
    The music app sounds terrific to me, far better than Amazons effort.

As to what sounds best between it and Spotify, my take is “It depends”.
    Agree with James that with 4k video it makes no sense the audio stream would be crap, and in fact it sounds really very good in my setup, no complaints.

A good indicator of YouTube sound quality, and it’s not even 4K: it’s1080p/50 stream, is this from Agnes Obel.

You won’t really get an idea of the sound quality from a laptop speaker unfortunately..
    Bit of a test track for me actually as the new kit is running in.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 26-02-2019 at 18:50.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm James.

Ah, one of my favourite artists Gaz! She should be bringing something new out this year!

I would not be surprised to find as Youtube does 4K video it also does 24bit sound quality. If only it could be verified?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Ah, one of my favourite artists Gaz! She should be bringing something new out this year!

I would not be surprised to find as Youtube does 4K video it also does 24bit sound quality. If only it could be verified?
    Can you not download the video and check the file with mediaInfo (PC), this would give you the video and audio info.

I'm Gary.

Anyone compared Qobuz with Tidal?
    Thinking of taking out a Qobuz trial for a month.

Thanks.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Have both YouTube Music and Spotify Premium.
    Worth it for being ad free and access to squizillions of high quality music videos, docs all the usual stuff.
    The music app sounds terrific to me, far better than Amazons effort.

As to what sounds best between it and Spotify, my take is “It depends”.
    Agree with James that with 4k video it makes no sense the audio stream would be crap, and in fact it sounds really very good in my setup, no complaints.

A good indicator of YouTube sound quality, and it’s not even 4K: it’s1080p/50 stream, is this from Agnes Obel.

Bit of a test track for me actually as the new kit is running in.
    You can’t really judge the sound quality if your watching it through a laptop speaker...

Nowadays use YouTube as much as a valid music source as any other, sounds terrific.
    Very nice, hints of Bat for Lashes in that.
    Regards Neil

I'm James.

Thanks.
    Talking about this last night with some friends and we all agreed Qobuz sounds better than Tidal.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Depending on how demanding the recording is you can get away with a low bitrate. A sparse production with no big dynamic swings is not going to show it up. Recording quality and the type of music will have a much bigger effect on perceived quality than the sampling rate or the bit rate.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Thanks.
    Been trialling Qoboz side by side with Tidal for a while. Got a 3 month trial of the former.... Cant say I hear much if any difference tbh on redbook versions. slight volume difference only, but not on all.... i like Qoboz interface better in many ways, although their catalogue isnt as good as Tidals, Classical exempted.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Been trialling Qoboz side by side with Tidal for a while. Got a 3 month trial of the former.... Cant say I hear much if any difference tbh on redbook versions. slight volume difference only, but not on all.... i like Qoboz interface better in many ways, although their catalogue isnt as good as Tidals, Classical exempted.

This

I'm Phil.

Just tried fireflies al di meola and youtube is definitely louder and does seem to have a bit more weight/body compared to spotify which is quieter and premium quality set to high quality . phil
    Phil.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast