+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: YouTube vs Spotify

I'm James.

Default YouTube vs Spotify

I have noticed for sometime now that there is quite a difference in Sound quality between YouTube and Spotify so tonight I did some evaluation and compared the same track played on both and found in almost all cases YouTube sounded better. Much fuller sound and better soundstage, detail and depth. Spotify by comparison sounds thin and a bit weak.

Anyone else notice this?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have noticed for sometime now that there is quite a difference in Sound quality between YouTube and Spotify so tonight I did some evaluation and compared the same track played on both and found in almost all cases YouTube sounded better. Much fuller sound and better soundstage, detail and depth. Spotify by comparison sounds thin and a bit weak.

Anyone else notice this?
    You can't have set Spotify up correctly or you are using the free version. The bitrate for Youtube audio is pretty low. It generally sounds OK but is noticeably less detailed than the 320k Spotify feed.

Geoff

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    You can't have set Spotify up correctly or you are using the free version. The bitrate for Youtube audio is pretty low. It generally sounds OK but is noticeably less detailed than the 320k Spotify feed.

Geoff
    I was only using the free version of Spotify. Is the bitrate for YouTube the same for all material on there?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Geoff.

I was only using the free version of Spotify. Is the bitrate for YouTube the same for all material on there?
    It is usually around 126 kbps AAC.

Geoff

I'm Nick.

Spotify premium set to High Quality Streaming sounds a good bit better than youtube imho
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm James.

Premium Spotify may sound good but I have heard some excellent Youtube sound quality. I don't buy the fact it is all low bit rate especially when you can view 4K material on the site. I am sure some of the music videos are far higher than 126 kbps.

I'm Nick.

Premium Spotify may sound good but I have heard some excellent Youtube sound quality. I don't buy the fact it is all low bit rate especially when you can view 4K material on the site. I am sure some of the music videos are far higher than 126 kbps.
    YouTube has changed a lot in the last year or so but a while back I remember reading something about no matter what quality you record and render your audio at YouTube simply reduces the quality to a site standard.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm James.

Why would it render audio to a low site standard when you can view 4K video?

Is there a way of looking at the bit rate you are getting or is there somewhere that tells you what Youtube use?

I'm Nick.

Why would it render audio to a low site standard when you can view 4K video?

Is there a way of looking at the bit rate you are getting or is there somewhere that tells you what Youtube use?
    I wouldn't begin to question YouTube's methods

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Have both YouTube Music and Spotify Premium.
    Worth it for being ad free and access to squizillions of high quality music videos, docs all the usual stuff.
    The music app sounds terrific to me, far better than Amazons effort.

As to what sounds best between it and Spotify, my take is “It depends”.
    Agree with James that with 4k video it makes no sense the audio stream would be crap, and in fact it sounds really very good in my setup, no complaints.

A good indicator of YouTube sound quality, and it’s not even 4K: it’s1080p/50 stream, is this from Agnes Obel.

Bit of a test track for me actually as the new kit is running in.
    You can’t really judge the sound quality if your watching it through a laptop speaker...

Nowadays use YouTube as much as a valid music source as any other, sounds terrific.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast