+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coherent RTZ GROUNDING BOX

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I can confirm that the effects in the two systems are polar opposites.

It is very baffling that what I have heard in my system, and others in their systems, is an opening of the soundstage, with more space, air and realism.
    In Oli's system the RTZ removed the air and space that was already there making the soundstage flat and dull.

The conclusion can only be that it is system dependent.

I do reiterate that I am more than happy that I have put one into my system as it has been a very worthwhile upgrade.
    Or maybe it fixes an issue in your system Alan that is not apparent in Oli’s...

I do find this suggestion that your system needs to be ‘balanced’ somewhat contrived, has anybody defined what a balanced system is in reality....without going to odd extremes.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I do find this suggestion that your system needs to be ‘balanced’ somewhat contrived, has anybody defined what a balanced system is in reality....without going to odd extremes.
    As far as I can see, nobody has made such a suggestion. The only reference to ‘balanced’ is with regard to balanced mains transformers (BMU devices) - which is what they are called.
    Account Deleted

I'm Neal.

It’s in one of the other grounding box threads....
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Deleted.

Ah, is it - I’ve rather lost track (interest) in the maze of interweaving ‘grounding box threads’. As you suggest, I would agree that the whole concept of requiring a ‘balanced’ system for the benefits to be audible is just marketing FUD to cast doubts on negative experiences.
    Account Deleted

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

After the second, more intent listen, I had more concerns. The transients had been lost and the (artificially reproduced) room acoustics on the recording were missing. I suspected this in the first evaluation but was sidetracked by focusing on the effect it had on the bass.

Again we discussed what we heard.

I was absolutely convinced that the normally cavernous soundstage had gone, the chest cavity was no longer audible and everything sounded a little flat.

We then took the RTZ grounding box out.

As I suspected, the sounstage returned to its huge size, transients returned and to be honest, it was just better all round.

The ambience and detail was completely sucked out by the RTZ and I am totally perplexed by it.

In Alan's system, the result is totally the opposite. It helps his system to perform better but here it killed everything. Alan's had better space in the soundstage and definitely appeared more revealing. I think I now need to revisit Alan's system and do the same tracks there.

What I can now say, CONCLUSIVELY, is that it does do something. It just may not be entirely desirable.
    Oliver, a really great insight into one of these grounding boxes. It does leave the question about whether to try one or not very open. When I start to feel better from my op I think I will have a go at making my own grounding box, I have about half of what I need and the other bits of magic on the web are about £50-80 for a simple one, this is based on several weeks of web searching.

It will be interesting to see if I get any result whatsoever, a bit of fun anyway. I might then do a trial of a BMU, can anyone advise on a reasonably priced one that it effective?

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Bigman80 Guest

Yes it certainly does!

The box is a bit of an enigma. The price is a massive factor. Most of the other brands have been described as softening the sound but this one did the entire opposite.

I don't pretend to understand exactly what it does or how it does it but on both occasions it had an audible effect.

Airline do affordable, well built BMUs. I'd start there.

I'm Adrian.

Yes it certainly does!

The box is a bit of an enigma. The price is a massive factor. Most of the other brands have been described as softening the sound but this one did the entire opposite.

I don't pretend to understand exactly what it does or how it does it but on both occasions it had an audible effect.

Airline do affordable, well built BMUs. I'd start there.
    I had a look at https://airlinktransformers.com/cate...d-power-supply and they are as you say reasonably priced, I think the BPS1000 - Standard Balanced Power Supply for £225 would do me fine, allowing it to simply feed two extension blocks. I just need to find if I can trial it.

Thanks
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Bigman80 Guest

I doubt that they do a home trial. However, they usually sell on pretty well so I wouldn't be too concerned about buying one. Better still, you could make your own.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi Ali,
    Does your BMU's secondary centre tap go directly to mains ground, or a seperate earth rod ?
    A...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Yes indeed, I built mine with a double pole RCBO on the secondary and double pole MCB on the primary.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi Oliver,
    That is how things should be done the BMU is a transformer, ie; with a seperate primary, and secondary, if there is no direct connection between the primary, and secondary, then the only issue your consumer unit will see in a fault situation, is over current, which is why the aditional trips are needed on the secondary.
    A...
    Mine is a DIY BMU and has MCBs in both legs. It's also substantially earthed and complies fully with the latest regs.

With two small kids in the house, it's a must that everything is safe.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast