+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ShuGuang KT88-98 tube varients

I'm Chris.

Default ShuGuang KT88-98 tube varients

*Variants even . . . wow, awful from me!

Hi guys,

I've just bought a very nice Ming Da 368-B amplifier.

Initially I was just going to replace the standard factory tubes with some Electroharmonics/Psvane/Gold Lion etc. However after listening to these tubes they are absolutely superb.

I've often had amps with basic ShuGuang tubes from the factory and always replaced them as they sounded terrible (mainly on EL34 amps). With this I'm glad I gave them a chance.

Anyway, these ones appear to be around 10-15 years old and have clear writing on them simply saying "Electron tube - KT88-98 - Made in China".

A few reviews on various forums reveal similar experiences to mine with people using them in some pretty decent equipment and being pleasantly surprised.

I'd like to get a new matched quad just so I have something ready to go when these are due to be replaced. However the new production versions (with the red writing) look a little different in construction and some people have also mentioned the quality is not the same.

The new ones are readily available (albeit from lands mostly far away) however identical ones to mine are a bit more scarce and a bit more expensive.

I don't mind paying a bit more to get the exact ones again but if the new ones are as good I'll happily settle for them.

Here are some piccies so you know what I'm banging on about!

Advice and experiences much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris1924_G_1279867365092.jpgKT88-98-Shuguang.jpg
    Last edited by Opti-cal; 21-02-2019 at 12:42. Reason: Appalling spelling . . .

I'm Chris.

Apologies,

possibly should be moved to "The Artist's Palette" section??

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread