+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electrocompaniet ECI - 2

I'm Howard.

Default Electrocompaniet ECI - 2

Does anyone know if this runs in Class A up to a certain point? If so, at what point does it switch to Class B?

There’s a booklet online here

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/59...?page=3#manual

but it’s not specially helpful IMO. It says it consumes 70W for 2x50W output into 8 ohms.

I have one of these amps, it’s not especially big and heavy, it runs hot but not very hot.

I'm Grant.

By looks of its construction, no, or not much.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Howard.

Yes boot the booklet says

All stages work in Class A
    These stages are explained as follows

The amplifier is divided into two separate sections or gain blocks. The input block is a transconductance amplifier without overall feedback. This avoids large output current being fed back to the input, and mixed with the minute input signal. The output block is a transresistance amplifier with parallel feedback. This is done to prevent higher frequencies than the feedback loop can handle, from entering the loop.
    and

The amplifier will be warm.Due to the high class A operating point used in the Electrocompaniet design, it is normal that the amplifier feels warm
    It's an extremely nice amp, by the way. I have one.

I'm Grant.

sorry i was looking at a 3... yup that heatsink suggests some class A. I doubt it will be all class A tho.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Howard.

If it isn't all class A, pure class A, then I think that ELectrocompaniet have been downright misleading.

I'm Grant.

No many amps run in constant class A. Most do first 10 watts. some 20w. Very occasionally 40 or 50 but the heat sinks are huge. and they get very hot. TBH if it runs even 10 in class A then you may never come out of it unless your in a very big room.Surprising how loud 10 watts is.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

For instance this is the inside of a MF A1000 50 w classA.

I had one of these once and those huge heat sinks get so hot they remove skin. PS, that is a full size amp and the psu is seperate
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Howard.

I own a Krell KSA 50, it's being restored right now, I haven't heard it. I wonder how it will sound compared with the Electrocompaniet.

Why did Krell (and others) make such powerful Class A amps if 10W is so loud? Was it just for driving inefficient speakers in big rooms? I mean there's a KSA 200!

And no-one ever says that 10W Class B is loud, that you'll never clip a 10W amp unless you're in a large room! I don't understand what's going on actually.

I'm Grant.

some krells didnt use all class a either. think the older ones did.. Macca and Oli will know more about them; both have them. My speakers are efficient and probably only use a few watts of power, but then there is reserves for heavy work needed. Sure Macca said his krell only lights up one or 2 lights and he plays quite loud. his amp stays quite cool comparatively . the MF I had got pretty hot after a couple of hrs. certainly kept the house warm
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Default Electrocompaniet ECI - 2

No way is it a pure class A amp... heatsinks are just too small. The clue is in the description. “Due to the high class A operating point”.

Thus, it’ll be a few watts class A, biasing into A/B past that.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast