+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shock news: What Hifi say old amps are as good as new ones

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    Could say the same for records as well I suppose. Like many people I own some classical vinyl from 60 s 70 s of superb quality, and yet many say modern records can sound
    a bit inferior by comparison. Why ?
    Well it's certainly true that records in the 50s and 60s were recorded on superior vinyl (thicker, better quality) as opposed to stuff in the 80s a lot of which was done on thin rubbishy vinyl, some of it even recycled. (Recycled vinyl is of course much more of a 'thing' today and no more welcome that it was in the 80s).

More specifically there was certainly a period in the 00s through to relativey recently where vinyl mastering skills (and even vinyl mastering equipment) were in very short supply which also led to quality issues.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    What I don't understand is, if each year they tell us the new models are a step up from the ones last year and we need to sell up and get the latest model, how can an amp from 30 years ago match a recent amp at around the same level?? The question is rhetorical by the way, I think I can work out why...

https://www.whathifi.com/features/ol...hich-is-better

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    No they say that an old Cyrus amp has qualities the new doesn't. That is a completely different thing to a broad statement that, all old amps sound better than new designs.

Being very frank I would not have the gift of a vintage cyrus one or two, even with the power supply option. Never liked the presentation.
    Regards Neil

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Being very frank I would not have the gift of a vintage cyrus one or two, even with the power supply option. Never liked the presentation.
    I'd pass on that too.

Some old amps are/were dire. But there again the same applies to some newer examples no doubt.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

montesquieu Guest

Not sure either the One or the Two had external PSU as an option - well before all that sort of frippery.

I must say I always liked their musicality, and they weren't short of welly either considering the market they were playing in.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Not sure either the One or the Two had external PSU as an option - well before all that sort of frippery.

I must say I always liked their musicality, and they weren't short of welly either considering the market they were playing in.

Blue socket is for the PSX

I worked in a shop, back in the day, that sold these. They had a Power supply upgrade option. I never liked the amps, speakers, some were good, CDP not bad. The earlier Mission amps didn't have a power supply upgrade option.
    Regards Neil

montesquieu Guest

Blue socket is for the PSX

I worked in a shop, back in the day, that sold these. They had a Power supply upgrade option. I never liked the amps, speakers, some were good, CDP not bad. The earlier Mission amps didn't have a power supply upgrade option.
    Never seen that on mine! Need to dig it out and look.

I'm Shane.

I briefly had a Cyrus One going back a couple years ago. Had a very open sounding presentation with good timing. Sounded a bit like a Nait 1, but better!

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Never seen that on mine! Need to dig it out and look.
    The article said it was only an option on the Two. It's always possible some early Twos didn't have it and they introduced the PSX later.

I'm Lawrence.

No they say that an old Cyrus amp has qualities the new doesn't. That is a completely different thing to a broad statement that, all old amps sound better than new designs.

I've always thought the What HIFi crew had a different taste in sound to me, as they have often rated stuff that would give me an earache. It's also possible they have a well damped/near anechoic listening room unlike mine which despite carpets seems to get shouty with some gear.

I'm Steve.

I bought a Cyrus 1 when it first came out, I seem to remember it not being better soundwise than the Rotel RA-712 it replaced, I probably just wanted to keep up with the 'latest thing'. It cost £149. The finish on the volume and selector knobs was terrible, and the paint rubbed off them after a few months. Definitely NO provision for power supply.

Bought it Friday tea time from Norman Audio in Preston, and when I got it home, no mains lead! Went back to the shop next morning, had a standing argument with Norman in the middle of the shop, he insisted the lead was there. I was ready to concede defeat, and cast my eyes to the floor, and there was the lead, on the floor between us like it was refereeing our fight. Norman's face remained red, but now out of embarrassment.

Happy for the Cyrus 1 to stay in the past, but would love to put that Rotel into a 'vintage' system.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast