+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Croft Phono Integrated Impressions so Far

I'm Alfie.

Default Croft Phono Integrated Impressions so Far

I set up my new croft phono Integrated today.

So far I’ve only tried the phono stage input. I’m using a Nahaoka MP-200 (4mv) and my speakers are Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary (86db sensitivity).

I’m coming from a tisbury passive into a Quad 303 and so far I’m not sure about the croft. It seems a bit dry/harsh sounding. What’s odd is that 2am on the volume is loud. It feels like there is a lot more gain than there should be given the cart and speakers I’m using.

Is this an expected result?

I'm Graham.

Hi, having owned quad amps and croft RIAA and also heard croft integrated, compared to a quad, the croft is going to be more forward and harder. Also IIRC the croft integrated has a valve phono output stage so gain will be on high side as the ecc83 is a high gain valve and the jj is on harder side.

I ended up substituting 3 mica NOS 5751 (sylvania I think) in my croft phono stage as they have lower gain and a less forward presentation.

Also let the croft run in before making a judgement as some components may benefit after being burned in for a few hours.

I'm James.

Swap the JJ Tesla valves in the phono stage for some NOS ECC83 and you can influence the sound considerably. The JJ Teslas can sound a bit raw and harsh but the amp should be run for a fair bit first from new. Folks use many different ecc83 valves in the phono stage so it may be worth looking on the net to get some ideas. I would go for NOS Tesla, Mullard, Brimar, Sylvania.

If you want to reduce gain pop a GE 5751 in the line stage.

This is what I use in my power amp

https://www.watfordvalves.com/produc...il.asp?id=1394
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Ian.

I have a Croft 25R and partner it with a Croft 7 and sometimes a Quad 303. To my mind, the comment Graham made above is on the nail. I too find the Croft sounds a little more forward and detailed and the Quad a little more lush. I love both ! I do need to stress that I've not heard the Croft integrated though.

As always, take your time and relax into it, when we're used to one particular sound for a long time change can take some getting used to.

I've always though the 303 sounds like a pair of Quad IIs but with more whack, which is something that appeals to me very much indeed. I also perhaps might be biased, I'll admit to being a huge fan of Croft gear. This lot here put me onto it

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by beadlesabout View Post
    I set up my new croft phono Integrated today.

So far I’ve only tried the phono stage input. I’m using a Nahaoka MP-200 (4mv) and my speakers are Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary (86db sensitivity).

I’m coming from a tisbury passive into a Quad 303 and so far I’m not sure about the croft. It seems a bit dry/harsh sounding. What’s odd is that 2am on the volume is loud. It feels like there is a lot more gain than there should be given the cart and speakers I’m using.

Is this an expected result?
    If you mean the volume, when pointing to where 2 o’clock would be, is loud then I would say, yes, so it should be! My own system would be deafeningly loud well before then and that’s using a much, much lower output cartridge (though in an entirely different setup). It’s a long time since I heard the Quad amps you have but I always found it a very ‘relaxed’ sound (the pre in particular) and most stuff will sound more upbeat.
    Account Deleted

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    If you mean the volume, when pointing to where 2 o’clock would be, is loud then I would say, yes, so it should be! My own system would be deafeningly loud well before then and that’s using a much, much lower output cartridge (though in an entirely different setup). It’s a long time since I heard the Quad amps you have but I always found it a very ‘relaxed’ sound (the pre in particular) and most stuff will sound more upbeat.
    Yip at 2 I'm heading towards live levels

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by beadlesabout View Post
    What’s odd is that 2am on the volume is loud.
    Then turn it down.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Then turn it down.
    Simple, yet.... Works

I'm Timothy.

Mark, Two O'clock on the Croft volume knobs are almost just beginning though, as it begins at Noon...It can be interesting depending on what the whole system sensitivity is. But I do love the Crofts!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Mark, Two O'clock on the Croft volume knobs are almost just beginning though, as it begins at Noon...It can be interesting depending on what the whole system sensitivity is. But I do love the Crofts!
    So they do, in that case 2 is a bit early

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast