+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Croft Phono Integrated Impressions so Far

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by beadlesabout View Post
    Thanks Fiddlemaker, what a nice place this is! I'll find you on PM.

There are some NOS RCA 5751s on the auction site. Says "LC32" but I don't think that means anything? They're around £30 which is nice. Any thoughts from others on those? There is very little detail about them.
    Depending on what you already have in the input stage of the power amp section these might give you improved sound (NOS RCA valves are generally very good). Going to 5751 vs ECC83 to reduce gain will only give you another "o'clock" or so on the volume controls, nothing dramatic.

I'm Alfie.

Which valves are which in the Croft Phono Integrated? I know it's a passive line stage, so I am not sure which valve does what? I think I read that one is for input and two are for phono stage? Would you replace all three?

I'm John.

Which valves are which in the Croft Phono Integrated? I know it's a passive line stage, so I am not sure which valve does what? I think I read that one is for input and two are for phono stage? Would you replace all three?
    looking from the front, the left and middle valves are the phono stage, the right hand one is the power section input valve.

I'm Ian.

It looks like the GE JAN 5751's might be a good call for my needs?

This is what I settled on. I do believe a good source of these is Langrex………

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5751-JAN-...frcectupt=true

I'm John.

As someone else has already suggested, emailing Glenn Croft would be the best way to resolve your gain issue. I've previously experienced the "2 o' clock effect" when using a Croft preamp with a sensitivity-mismatched power amp, but it seems very strange to be having this with an integrated.
    Glenn is very helpful, and if anything needs doing his costs are very reasonable.

I'm Alfie.

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    It looks like the GE JAN 5751's might be a good call for my needs?

This is what I settled on. I do believe a good source of these is Langrex………

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5751-JAN-...frcectupt=true
    Yes, I keep reading about these and they're a reasonable price. Langrex also sell a NOS RCA for about he same price, but i don't know which one will soften the treble the most. Hmmm.

I'm Ian.

Yes, I keep reading about these and they're a reasonable price. Langrex also sell a NOS RCA for about he same price, but i don't know which one will soften the treble the most. Hmmm.
    My own experience with tube rolling is that madness lies there ;-). I just took a recommendation and stayed with it !

I'm Lawrence.

I've seen a few ads for Croft Micro Pres with customised reduced gain for sensitive power amps. High gain may be a feature of the standard preamp design but, as was said above, should be well matched as standard on an integrated.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Alfie.

Having a proper listen this evening. Either something is wrong or I don’t get on with this amp. The cymbals are so forward and splashy it’s like trollys crashing together in a supermarket car park! It’s not relaxing to listen to.

Not what I’d expected. Would you say tube rolling will be too subtle to address the sound to make it more to my liking?

Perhaps I just like the old quad sound and that’s what I should stick with.

I'm Lawrence.

What valves are in there? Can you post pics?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast