+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New member sayinh hi!

I'm David.

Cool New member sayinh hi!

Hello Forum members. I'm Dave and can't quite understand how I've not been on this Forum before!
    I've been into music and audio for most of my 50 plus years, which started when my late father had a 'proper' hifi system when we lived in the Middle East. It was all Japanese kit (Akai reel to reel, Sansui amps and speakers in lovely wood with wood grilles...those were the days eh!...and a turntable which make I can't recall, but also from the Orient). He played mainly classical music for hours. My elder brother then introduced me to rock and blues, genres I have stuck with pretty much since (although I never got into Captain Beefheart and Zappa that dominated hi LP collection). So my musical tastes tend mostly towards MOR, but I do like small ensemble classical, folk and what I term 'tuneful' jazz.
    Over the years my equipment has evolved. I started with a Rega Planar 3 with Ultra tonearm feeding Mordant Short speakers through an obscure integrated amp (called a Reference). Moved on to a Pink Triangle PT Too with Syrinx PU3 and Decca Supergold (awesome dynamics!) feeding Myst pre/power into a succession of bookshelf speakers, the best by far being Heybrook HB2's. Then I upgraded to an Audiomeca J1 with Goldmund T3F arm and Benz Reference into a Tom Evans Groove (now upgraded several times internally to Groove Plus with separate PS), feeing a Jadis JPL (a honey) into Acoustat 2+2 electrostatic monoliths with their own 'active' tube amps. Awesome sound (IMHO) but speakers reached the ceiling and were ultimately a compromise too far. So with a few iterations I now have an Audiomeca Belladonna turntable with Septum arm (not a great name to be honest!) with the Benz Reference cartridge and still with the upgraded Groove. These feed a Pass Aleph P pre and Pass Aleph 2 monoblock power amps into Martin Logan CLS IIz's and a ML Descent subwoofer. I also use an Accuphase DP-77 SACD player.
    As of today though things are in flux as my very understanding wife and I are planning early retirement to warmer climes than the UK. So the speakers and amps are to go. I have yet to finalise what to replace them with that sounds good and is domestically acceptable... current thinking is Sonus Fabers (Guarneri's or some such) fed by a hefty stereo amp, possibly integrated. The source gear will likely stay as is.
    I'm looking forward to being a member of this Forum, and am happy to feed back any advice if people look at my audio gear history and have questions. Cheers, (and remember to listen to the whole of a track or preferably side of an LP and not just 10 second bursts!)

I'm Rob.

Hello David, you have been through some nice kit. There are some very knowledgeable folk on here who should be able to help you with your quest. My system is mainly cobbled together junk (for junk read DIY or strays dragged in)

It is of course all about the music and it doesn't do too badly IMO of course....honest.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Adrian.

Welcome Dave, reading through your gear over the years reminded me of my friends kit, he to had Myst pre/power with Pink Triangle, lovely set up, I never understood why he sold it except it went when he had a family of young kids.

Your current setup sounds nice too.

Cheers Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Geoff.

Hi David. Welcome to AOS.

You've come to the right place to discuss system changes, just find the right section and start yourself a thread and outline any ideas you may have. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS David,

Fascinating introduction - you certainly have tried some excellent kit!

Regarding your future plans, do what Geoff (walpurgis) suggests - start a new thread stating your intended plans, what gear you want to keep and what needs to be changed. Could you decribe what you look for in your sound system, difficult I know, but it would help.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread