+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cartridge options for SME 3009 Series 2 Non improved?

I'm Adrian.

I found this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-NOS-S...4AAOSw1UdcX8Yn

And

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-A...AAAOSwBPRcSIxG

As others indicate these should work well, however if you want more flexibility then it’s a more modern arm and cartridge IMO
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I don't buy into the myth that SME 3000 series arms are only compatible with high compliance cartridges, and are unsuitable for use with MC cartridges.

I have used many low compliance cartridges sucessfully with an SME arm (such as Deccas and various MCs: EMT, Ortofon, Sumiko, Denon, etc.), though with some of these cartridges the arm has been damped near the pivot using the SME FD200 fluid damping dashpot (using the smallest (grey) paddle).

Agree with Geoff regarding the ADC cartridges; they will work very well with your SME.
    Barry

I'm Frank.

Surprised to see 25+ compliance recommended for a 60's type SME 3009/S2, as SME's own chart shows (with a 7+g ADC) above 20cu leads to sub-8hz frequencies.

http://www.analogue-classics.com/htm...09___3012.html

ADC didn't quote cu's at that stage; but recall 'difficulties' with the ADC10E/II in that arm; replaced, 1973, with 3009imp/FHS + Shure V15/III.

Never tried XLM in any SME3009 (used daily in a Series 3/mk2 wand); but that ADC series is troubled by stylus grip resonances (leading to coloration/reduced dynamics) unless care is taken to black-tack the grip.
    Could reasonably recommend the XLM 'Integra' type (RXM-II stylus) on account of the less resonant plastic (& decent stylus)...those stylii possibly still available (though a bit more than mine @ £10 apiece).

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I don't buy into the myth that SME 3000 series arms are only compatible with high compliance cartridges, and are unsuitable for use with MC cartridges.

I have used many low compliance cartridges sucessfully with an SME arm (such as Deccas and various MCs: EMT, Ortofon, Sumiko, Denon, etc.), though with some of these cartridges the arm has been damped near the pivot using the SME FD200 fluid damping dashpot (using the smallest (grey) paddle).

Agree with Geoff regarding the ADC cartridges; they will work very well with your SME.
    Cheers Barry that's interesting stuff, so it is doable but the tonearm would need adjusted. I am planning on getting it rewired by Audio Origami later this year so that will be a good time to consider all the the options.

I'm David.

Excellent posting.
    PM me if you want to try an XLM cartridge.

I'm James.

A lot of people seem to think this is the low weight improved variant and are recommending high compliance cartridges. It's actually a non-improved and as such medium compliance carts will work just fine.

You can use an SPU in it but that will benefit a LOT from the FD200 damping trough being fitted.
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by disco View Post
    Excellent posting.
    PM me if you want to try an XLM cartridge.
    Cheers David. Will bear your offer in mind. Do you think it would be a significant step up from the M55e?

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Smegger68 View Post
    A lot of people seem to think this is the low weight improved variant and are recommending high compliance cartridges. It's actually a non-improved and as such medium compliance carts will work just fine.

You can use an SPU in it but that will benefit a LOT from the FD200 damping trough being fitted.
    My understanding of the differences between the improved and non improved is pretty limited but I understand the non improved weighs 12.5g and is good bit heavier(?). It would be interesting to know if SME still provide any advice for these arms but I doubt it.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon75 View Post
    Cheers David. Will bear your offer in mind. Do you think it would be a significant step up from the M55e?
    It ought to be. I have used ADC 25 and ADC 10E Mk.IV cartridges at some time, and loved them both. I haven't heard the XLM but since it is a later design from the 25, 26 and 10E, I would expect it to build on their strengths.

The Shure M55E is not a bad cartridge by any means, but it has gathered a lot of hype (as has the Shure M3D), which, IMO, it does not deserve.

(I still have a couple of samples of the ADC cartridges mentioned, as well as the M55E.)
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

It ought to be. I have used ADC 25 and ADC 10E Mk.IV cartridges at some time, and loved them both. I haven't heard the XLM but since it is a later design from the 25, 26 and 10E, I would expect it to build on their strengths.
    I used to swap between the 10E Mk.IV and XLM III and found them pretty similar to listen to. Both very nice in other words. As non-MC cartridges go, it's a refined and sophisticated sound with excellent transparency.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast