+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cartridge options for SME 3009 Series 2 Non improved?

I'm Geoff.

I seem to recall back then, SME being in a sort of unspoken partnership with Shure. I have vague memories of SME brochures with pictures of V15 cartridges mounted in the arms.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I seem to recall back then, SME being in a sort of unspoken partnership with Shure. I have vague memories of SME brochures with pictures of V15 cartridges mounted in the arms.
    Think some SME tonearms (in the States?) where actually badged Shure.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by mbic View Post
    If MC’s are fine in a 3009, why didn’t SME recommend any?
    Is it the case they clearly did not recommend them or was MC just generally less of an option for consumers in the mid 60's market?

I'm Geoff.

MC's had become a little unfashionable as the race to produce high compliance cartridges with minimal tracking downforce was well established by 1970. Makes like Empire, ADC, Ortofon and Shure vying to claim the lowest tracking force crown. At the time it was all about trackability and tonal characteristics became secondary.

At that time, there were really only two makers of MC cartridges. More commonly, Ortofon, but if you tracked them down Micro Seiki could also be found. Neither sold in great quanities, there wasn't the demand.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Still prefer a good mm overall. Its got more going for it on so many levels.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Shure were the US distributor for SME. There they were referred to as "Shure SME", this title appearing on the badge on the headshell. I have one.

SME didn't explicitly recommend any cartridge as such, but they were advertised showing them fitted with the Shure M55E and later with the Shure V15 II and V15 III.

The advertisement of an SME fitted with an M55E was the reason I bought one to fit in my newly acquired SME arm. Yes I know that is not the best way of going about in choosing a cartridge, but it was nearly 50 years ago and I was a novice.

As I have reported above, the SME arm was designed initially to take an Ortofon SPU. The arms were initially sold without a headshell because of that. Headshells were available as an optional extra and the first (the S1) was made for SME by Ortofon but badged "SME". They were the whale-shaped Ortofon G type shells as used to house the SPU.

Alistair Roberson-Aikman also commissioned a couple of moving coil cartridges to be made for him by the British company EMG during the development of the SME.

So no, SME did not explicitly recommend any moving coil cartridge as such, but when they introduced the FD200 fluid damper, the advertisements for it did display graphs showing its effect on the arm/cartridge resonant frequency for Fidelity Research and Satin moving coil cartridges, amongst others.
    Barry

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Shure were the US distributor for SME. There they were referred to as "Shure SME", this title appearing on the badge on the headshell. I have one.

SME didn't explicitly recommend any cartridge as such, but they were advertised showing them fitted with the Shure M55E and later with the Shure V15 II and V15 III.

The advertisement of an SME fitted with an M55E was the reason I bought one to fit in my newly acquired SME arm. Yes I know that is not the best way of going about in choosing a cartridge, but it was nearly 50 years ago and I was a novice.

As I have reported above, the SME arm was designed initially to take an Ortofon SPU. The arms were initially sold without a headshell because of that. Headshells were available as an optional extra and the first (the S1) was made for SME by Ortofon but badged "SME". They were the whale-shaped Ortofon G type shells as used to house the SPU.

Alistair Roberson-Aikman also commissioned a couple of moving coil cartridges to be made for him by the British company EMG during the development of the SME.

So no, SME did not explicitly recommend any moving coil cartridge as such, but when they introduced the FD200 fluid damper, the advertisements for it did display graphs showing its effect on the arm/cartridge resonant frequency for Fidelity Research and Satin moving coil cartridges, amongst others.
    Great post Barry.

I'm John.

The same 3009 I referred to has had my Dynavector DV20-H used on it.
    I have not ever heard this cartridge since I purchased it from
    HiFi World in 2000ish .
    The 3009 owner seriously rated it against his MM's and tried to buy it.
    He borrowed it again at Xmas and compared it to the K'b, he still highly rates it.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    The same 3009 I referred to has had my Dynavector DV20-H used on it.
    I have not ever heard this cartridge since I purchased it from
    HiFi World in 2000ish .
    The 3009 owner seriously rated it against his MM's and tried to buy it.
    He borrowed it again at Xmas and compared it to the K'b, he still highly rates it.
    Cheers will look that one up.

I'm Michael.

I would stick to trying cartridges on SME’S list, unless you have a good rapport with a dealer who will let you buy and return the cartridge if not happy, otherwise, buying cartidges can be an expensive game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345