+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge options for SME 3009 Series 2 Non improved?

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It ought to be. I have used ADC 25 and ADC 10E Mk.IV cartridges at some time, and loved them both. I haven't heard the XLM but since it is a later design from the 25, 26 and 10E, I would expect it to build on their strengths.

The Shure M55E is not a bad cartridge by any means, but it has gathered a lot of hype (as has the Shure M3D), which, IMO, it does not deserve.

(I still have a couple of samples of the ADC cartridges mentioned, as well as the M55E.)
    Cheers Barry, was interested to know what options were out there and it seems to be the census that the ADC is an excellent choice, it wasn't a cartridge I had heard much about before.

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon75 View Post
    I've been using a Shure M55e cartridge with jelco stylus on a SME Series 2 non improved tonearm with detachable headshell for the past year or so. It's sounding very good but I am keen to try other options including MC, ideally in the £300ish price range new or secondhand. Does anyone with experience of using this tonearm have any recommendations?
    Heard an ortofon om40 fitted to a 3009 once, and to my ears sounded very good indeed. That was the top of the line moving magnet from ortofon before the 2m series and has a very good fritz Gyger stylus, still available

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by fletchdirect View Post
    Heard an ortofon om40 fitted to a 3009 once, and to my ears sounded very good indeed. That was the top of the line moving magnet from ortofon before the 2m series and has a very good fritz Gyger stylus, still available
    Cheers that's another one to consider and I will look it up. I'm currently thinking the mm phonostage I'm using is pretty decent and would like to get the best out of it before moving on to MC eventually.

I'm Michael.

Stick to MM’s, MC’s and SME’s knife edge bearings don’t mix, talkt to Ortofon and SME.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by mbic View Post
    Stick to MM’s, MC’s and SME’s knife edge bearings don’t mix, talkt to Ortofon and SME.
    Yeah I think you are on to something.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

How so?
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Ran an ortofon mc fineline on a 3009, and it was superb.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

I've listened to a Ortofon K'b on a 3009, at the price the K'b was purchased for, I did not find any reason to question the match.
    It did tighten the bass with less bloom at the bottom end, and take the highs up to max, in a smooth less punchy presentation, when compared to a VI5 III.
    I have not seen a A&R with replacement Stylus suggested, maybe the,
    Boron Cantilever Jico SAS 1.

I'm Patrick.

Cheers for all the suggestions folks, lot's of options to consider, it seems the tonearm is a bit more flexible than I first believed so that can only be a good thing. Anyone aware of modern more neutral sounding cartridges out there that might be worth checking out?

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I've listened to a Ortofon K'b on a 3009, at the price the K'b was purchased for, I did not find any reason to question the match.
    It did tighten the bass with less bloom at the bottom end, and take the highs up to max, in a smooth less punchy presentation, when compared to a VI5 III.
    I have not seen a A&R with replacement Stylus suggested, maybe the,
    Boron Cantilever Jico SAS 1.
    Cheers John, from a bit of reading it looks like quite a few ortofon cartridges would work. Will look into the A&R, I know Jico have stopped making the SAS at the moment, I am keen to try a SAS on my M55e but they don't come up often 2nd hand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast