+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cartridge options for SME 3009 Series 2 Non improved?

I'm Patrick.

Default Cartridge options for SME 3009 Series 2 Non improved?

I've been using a Shure M55e cartridge with jelco stylus on a SME Series 2 non improved tonearm with detachable headshell for the past year or so. It's sounding very good but I am keen to try other options including MC, ideally in the £300ish price range new or secondhand. Does anyone with experience of using this tonearm have any recommendations?

I'm Mick.

To help the forum recommend offer suggestions for a replacement/ upgrade what do you want from the sound?
    Like most hifi components there are always trade offs.
    I have used a couple of the Linn MCs in the same arm, but in the back of my mind i know this isn't the best arm for an MC cart.
    Which aspect of the sound is most important to you and what sort of music do you play?
    Have you already got a head amp / step up transformer?

Mick

I'm James.

The best cartridge for this arm is almost certainly a Shure V15 variant. So do you want to go there or are you looking for something else?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Patrick.

Yeah already using a Shure M55e, interested to know what other options are out there that might work as well or better.

I'm Patrick.

Using a Rega Brio MM phonostage at the moment so would interested in hearing what HOMCs might be suitable.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon75 View Post
    Using a Rega Brio MM phonostage at the moment so would interested in hearing what HOMCs might be suitable.
    I can't think of any that would be a good match to the SME.

If you could locate a decent vintage ADC 10E Mk.IV with original stylus, you'd have cartridge that will outperform quite a few MC's and suit your arm perfectly. It's on a par with the Denon DL-103R soundwise.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I can't think of any that would be a good match to the SME.

If you could locate a decent vintage ADC 10E Mk.IV with original stylus, you'd have cartridge that will outperform quite a few MC's and suit your arm perfectly. It's on a par with the Denon DL-103R soundwise.
    Cheers that interesting, will keep an eye out for one. Are there any other MM cartridges that you think might be a significant step up from the M55e?

I'm Geoff.

Cheers that interesting, will keep an eye out for one. Are there any other MM cartridges that you think might be a significant step up from the M55e?
    ADC XLM III and ADC ZLM or if you can find them, Empire 1000 ZE/X and 999 VE/X (both rare). These are all vintage cartridges of high compliance and suit the SME. Hard to find but worth it. They must have original and good styli to be worth bothering with.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    ADC XLM III and ADC ZLM or if you can find them, Empire 1000 ZE/X and 999 VE/X (both rare). These are all vintage cartridges of high compliance and suit the SME. Hard to find but worth it. They must have original and good styli to be worth bothering with.
    Okay cheers, that's food for thought. Going in another direction, do you think a ortofon SPU might work?

I'm Geoff.

Okay cheers, that's food for thought. Going in another direction, do you think a ortofon SPU might work?
    Probably not. The SME needs high/highish compliance cartridges, say above 25cu. That rules out most MC's. The lovely Technics EPC-305 MC might just be OK, but you are unlikely to find one.

If you are interested in MC's your best bet is to sell the SME and buy a suitable arm in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast